Torch

livingsea2

I bought a torch coral yesterday from the lfs. and if looked great in my tank yesterday. today i did a top off which made the water movement different in the tank. So i have been playing with my powerheads to get it right.

Do torches accept high flow ok, the flow is pretty strong on the bottom and a bit calmer on the top, i just cant seem to get the flow how i want. ill post a link to the video i took of my tank, and torch in about 5 minutes.

It took me a good week before I got my flow just right with my torch. They don't like high flow. The best way to explain it is it should look like long prairie grass swaying in the wind.

Good luck

Sam

firefishbrain

like any euphyllia, you should put it in a gentler current down current of any other coral, just to be on the safe side...

It took me a good week before I got my flow just right with my torch. They don't like high flow. The best way to explain it is it should look like long prairie grass swaying in the wind.

Good luck

Sam

thanks alot, i dunno if mine look like prarie grass yet haha but i guess since yours took a week mine could take a week to get right, the video is uploading and should be posted within 5 minutes, you can also click my thread to see pictures from yesterday.

Torches like medium flow and will do fine with medium or better lighting. If the current is too strong, they will not expand all the way. They are aggressive and will sting other and kill other corals with sweepers that come out at night, so they need some space.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

this is the video from earlyer

Solarflare8806

no offense but you really should have figured this all before you bought it. Now its going through a lot of stressors and Torch are the most sensitive of the euphyllia.

good luck

no offense but you really should have figured this all before you bought it. Now its going through a lot of stressors and Torch are the most sensitive of the euphyllia.

good luck

thanks, i got the flow right for it finally and looks great again

its pretty hard to plan how the flow of your torch is going to have to be, since you dont know how long the tenticles full extended are, mine params are perfect, i have 2 powerheads, and plenty of space, i thought that was enouph to purchase it. but yes, im sure it got a bit of stress but its fine now.

ps if you know how to plan for the flow let me know it could def. help me out

oh yeah and one more thing, i have a bubble coral so getting very low flow for it and moderate for most other corals is pretty trick

Solarflare8806

try using a Hydor FLO thats what I use it usually gives you more natural flows throughout the tank. In mine it gives about 9 secs of soft gentle flow then about 3 secs of mod flow. This is Ideal for Euphyllias. I have a Torch myself and it expands great. I'll show a pic. A pic from you would be great too. Sorry to be harsh on my last comment.

For my Hydor I use a Quiet One 1200 pump in a NanoCube12. It has a set rate of 296GPH which the Hydor is set to have a max GPH of 350.

The only problems with my Torch is that I cant figure how to feed it or at least it won't eat. I've only had it for about 2 weeks. IF you get yours to feed tell me what you feed it.

try using a Hydor FLO thats what I use it usually gives you more natural flows throughout the tank. In mine it gives about 9 secs of soft gentle flow then about 3 secs of mod flow. This is Ideal for Euphyllias. I have a Torch myself and it expands great. I'll show a pic. A pic from you would be great too. Sorry to be harsh on my last comment.

For my Hydor I use a Quiet One 1200 pump in a NanoCube12. It has a set rate of 296GPH which the Hydor is set to have a max GPH of 350.

The only problems with my Torch is that I cant figure how to feed it or at least it won't eat. I've only had it for about 2 weeks. IF you get yours to feed tell me what you feed it.

thanks alot, i fixed the flow for now, the problem is evaporation, as the tank evaporates the flow changes but for now its looking good, i havnt fed it yet, but i have a bubble that I spot feed cyclopeez and twice a week a few tiny peices of silverside, seems to love em.

how long did it take for your bubble to start eating?

like 2 days, very quickly, only problem i was having was my cleaner shrimp came by and ate everything out of its mouth.

DementedLullaby

I have to make a pile of food for my stupid shrimp everytime I feed my blastomussas. The stupid fellow steals everything unless he feels like he's nearing molting time.

I couldn't get rid of stupid Mr.Clean though. He's too full of personality. I've been pondering getting a floating breeder trap and baiting him into it with some food. Let him float in that while I feed my blastos and then afterwards let him go. I'll letcha all know if this method works in stopping the shrimp from being super pig,

I have to feed my shrimp first then feed my torch and frogspawn. They both love cyclopeez and spectrum.

Archived