Top Shelf Aquatics

Two Ocellaris Clownfish in 12g?

boostedvdub

yes you can keep two ocellaris with frequent water changes and adequate swimming room.

No you cannot keep 3 fish in a 12 gallon.

you can keep 10 in there for a week if you wanted with 2 tangs and a lobster, but it isn't advisable.

But it doesn't freakin matter cause you forgot damsels and clowns don't get along very well. No I don't want to hear how you did it and were successful with clowns and damsels, it was stupid to do in the first place and you lucked out.

If you really must keep more than one fish then try a bottom dweller, a mid dweller and a top fish.

Clowns are in-betweeners. Bottom dwellers are gobies and dragonets (though not advisable since dragonets have strict requirements). Top dwellers - green chromis. Middle are pyjama cardinals and firefish.

But really in a 12 gallon even with excellent filtration and water change 2 is enough.

I keep two clowns and my sebea (which is under PCs) and a fridmani psuedo in the same 12 gallon display. (i do have a 10 refug hooked up tho). BTW they have been all living happily in there for almost 2 years

But it doesn't freakin matter cause you forgot damsels and clowns don't get along very well.

Ohhhh....I forgot too. Thanks for reminding me. If it werent for you being here...well...I just dont want to think about the consequences.

Well I am thinking about a tail spot blenny. I may just keep one fish if I go with the blenny, but for some reason it just seems sad to have only one clown...

BustytheSnowMaam

I had the same two clowns in my 10 for 4 years...then felt so sorry for a royal gramma I saw in a terrible tank at a pet shop I rescued it- I've now had 3 fish in a 10 for the last 9 months or so and they're all one big happy family. I actually think they're happier with the 3rd fish in there than before- gives my female clown something to do and someone to investigate.

However, I waited 4 years to add the 3rd fish. I am very conscientious about water changes. If I were you, I would definitely just stick to 2 for quite some time. Tanks go through a lot of changes over 4 years.

Also keep in mind the age of your present clown- it might harrass another clown quite a bit if it has been alone for awhile. Maybe consider sticking with one clown and another kind of fish for variety- rather than 2 clowns. And to second what Gwoardnog (go tang police!!!) said, clowns and damsels don't get along well. Damsels are very territorial.

Just my .02.

Tasha

You can keep 2 clowns in that 12g tank. But I would go with something really cool like Onyx Clowns and just keep those in there. Onyx are kick a$$ dude.

Is it possible to have 3 fish in a 12g? Sure. Is it a great idea? Depends on how willing you are to do water changes and what kind of fish. You could probably throw half a dozen little gobies in a 12g if you wanted. Personally, I would just start with the pair of clowns and see how it goes. I always prefer to err on the side of understocking than overstocking.

Sea_Of_Treachery
You can keep 2 clowns in that 12g tank. But I would go with something really cool like Onyx Clowns and just keep those in there. Onyx are kick a$$ dude.

yea dude those things are sweet but $$$$

Solarflare8806

I am one of those peeps who likes to see fish, with more fish. Before I became a reefer I was a cichlid keeper. I have a 55 gallon Malawi Mbuna tank with about 15 cichs. I like fish in numbers although fresh is a whole different story than salt, I still like it. I got the 12 g with a firefish. I plan to put two wrasse in there next weeek. I do 1-2 gallon water changes a week and do major cleanings. I also have a 30 gallon refugium hooked up to the tank. I wouldn't do more than one with out some chaeto in there. If you have a refugium then you can do a little more fishies. BUT you have to be vigilant in all cleaning chores, and monitoring chores. I would get two different kits for testing params. And also if your going to put corals in there, you will not be able to any kind of sps's in there. also you won't be able to treat ich so if you got a bunches of fish and they have ich well..............

good luck

..... I got the 12 g with a firefish. I plan to put two wrasse in there next weeek. .....

good luck

Good luck to you as well with 2 wrasse in a 12g tank

Archived