Cultivated Reef

24G aquapod blue crab species tank?

gagaliya

Hello there, as a new pet project i plan to buy a blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) from china town seafood market and keep it in a aquapod 24G nano tank. This will be a species tank with a single blue crab as the sole occupant due to its extreme aggressive nature.

I have experience with freshwater planted tanks but never kept a saltwater tank. My plan is to have a VERY SIMPLE setup, please tell me what i need or can have. Here's my current shopping list

1) current aquapod 24G all in one tank

2) seachem aragonite substrate (Meridian Oolitic )

3) instant ocean salt

4) coralife hydrometer for salinity measurement

5) 1 blue crab (callinectes sapidus) :happy:

Is there anything ESSENTIAL i am missing?

Have read the blue crab will basically turn your aquarium into a war zone so any kind of decor etc will not work. My question is will liverock be ok? my salinity will probably be lower than normal reef measurements, will the live rock still be ok? will the crabs mess up the live rock?

thanks!

You're going to need some live rock in there since it is going to provide the majority of your biological filtration and you're gonna need as much as you can get. The general rule is around 1.5 pounds for every gallon. You might also think about a protein skimmer to aid in waste removal.

Blue crabs are found in a wide range of temps and salinitys in the wild. They can even be found in fresh water. Near where i live they head up rivers to find food, sometimes miles up the river.

Archived