inTank Media Baskets

adding salt

rexwin

are you experiencing low salinity for some reason?

mix the salt into a cup of fw (distilled, RO/DI, or RO) and slowly pour into a high flow area. i wouldn't make the cup too briney, probably just 1.035 to 1.040 sg. depending on where your levels are currently at, it should bring the level up slowly and safely.

optimal range imo is 1.024~1.026 sg (34~36 ppt?). hth

my salt level is low and about 1.019, ive also got alot of brown algea growth just recently, is their a connection?

my salt level is low and about 1.019, ive also got alot of brown algea growth just recently, is their a connection?
some slime algae tend to start growing at lower salinity but i'm not sure on browns.

that is a bit low but i'd doublecheck it. both the tank and your waterchange. got refractometer? hydrometer is ok but a refract is worth the investment ($40~$50).

some slime algae tend to start growing at lower salinity but i'm not sure on browns.

that is a bit low but i'd doublecheck it. both the tank and your waterchange. got refractometer? hydrometer is ok but a refract is worth the investment ($40~$50).

what is the function of the a refract?

what is the function of the a refract?
a refractometer measures the level of salt content in your water by gauging the transmission of light thru it.

refractometer

it's more accurate than a hydrometer which gauges the specific gravity of the water but this is affected by the temperature of the water and possible interference with the gauge by human error, mechanical error, or manufacturing error (although i've never heard of the 3rd problem but being in mfg. i know it can happen). a refractometer is really only suspectible to human error as even mistakes within the unit can be calibrated out imo.

Archived