The benefits of photosynthetic refugiums

Prowland

I just picked up the 2006 Marine Fish and Reef mag and I has a pretty good article about different types of refugiums.

It says that a refugium with Chaetomorpha and a fine aragonite substrate (1-4in. are equally efficiant) is the best route. It explains many reasons why.

The flow rate should be adjusted to optimize refugium growth, not a multiple of the aquarium volume its filtering. There should be slight movement of the chaetomotpha. Usualy around 5-20 times water volume of the refugium per hour.

Lighting should be maximum as chaetomorpha can be found floating in mat in direct tropical sunlight. HO t-5 lighting was recomended. Use as many lamps as you can fit over it.

mrmiggidude
I just picked up the 2006 Marine Fish and Reef mag and I has a pretty good article about different types of refugiums.

It says that a refugium with Chaetomorpha and a fine aragonite substrate (1-4in. are equally efficiant) is the best route. It explains many reasons why.

The flow rate should be adjusted to optimize refugium growth, not a multiple of the aquarium volume its filtering. There should be slight movement of the chaetomotpha. Usualy around 5-20 times water volume of the refugium per hour.

Lighting should be maximum as chaetomorpha can be found floating in mat in direct tropical sunlight. HO t-5 lighting was recomended. Use as many lamps as you can fit over it.

Where can i get this magazine?

Archived