Pod Your Reef

Need suggetions for flow for 10g

HSV

Hello Everyone,

I am new to nano and this is my first post here. I have kept large tanks but due to move i decided to try out nano setup. I have 10g setup and i need your suggetions for flow. This is going to be mainly softy and lps kind of setup.

I bought topfin 10g kit from petsmart and it came with topfin 10 HOB which doesn't seem to have much flow but i will just keep it for the carbon etc... I definately need more flow. For now i wanted to keep this setup simple so it won't have sump or skimmer but it will have low bio load and i will try to keep up with water changes.

So i am looking for suggetions for adding powerhead. For 10g, what powerheads and how many should i use? Again this will be mainly softy and lps so i am not looking for sps kind of flow :) .

i would use 2 maxijets 400s and place them in the back corners of the tank and try not to face them at each other i forgot why but try not to and put the HOB and i think that you should be fine

Welcome to nano-reef! I would have to agree with the maxijet sugestion. You may want to also search for the AC700 fuge project in DIY, and mabey a hydor on one of your powerheads, just for fun...

As you suggested, your HOB filter is fine as long as you don’t keep a mechanical filter pad in there very long and don’t have a Bio-wheel. In fact, you could consider another one for redundancy and to increase your flow. Along these lines, I agree that you could look at any number of HOB filter conversions (to a refugium), and put Cheato algae in it for nutrient reduction and flow.

However, some HOB filters do not restart on their own after a power failure (make sure that you have a source of flow that will work without intervention after a power failure). A mix of an HOB filter and a powerhead is fairly common.

I also agree that the Mini•Jet and Maxi•Jet Pumps are good suggestions (with or without the HOB). The Natural Wave Timer is worth considering as well. For a 10 gallon tank, I’d be shooting for 250gph of total flow. Note that pumps on a Wave Timer are only on for half of the time, so these pumps would count for half when calculating flow.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

10g's are cheap and easy to drill.

i'd drill one hole top right corner and 2 holes in the bottom corners

(back panel)

bulkheads for all the holes

top right, i'd add some sort of corner overflow (plastic box stuck to the back or a simple as a 90* pipe fitting with the open part up. if you drill a hole in a plastic container you can use the bulkhead to attach it to the glass. just drill the same size hole in it also.)

as for plumbing. the water leaves through the top hole goes to the pump (outside the aquarium) is split into 2 and returns to the aquarium via the bottom holes (if you wanted you could connect the 2 bottom holes in the tank with 2 90* fitting and a pipe full of holes (making a spray bar)

i know you said simple, put rigging a closed loop isn't as hard as you think. also theres no risk of flooding with a closed loop :)

this set up will skim your water surface and remove all pumps/powerheads from inside the aquarium. too much clutter in a 10g really takes away from the overall look of the aquarium.

10g's are cheap and easy to drill.

i'd drill one hole top right corner and 2 holes in the bottom corners

(back panel)

bulkheads for all the holes

top right, i'd add some sort of corner overflow (plastic box stuck to the back or a simple as a 90* pipe fitting with the open part up. if you drill a hole in a plastic container you can use the bulkhead to attach it to the glass. just drill the same size hole in it also.)

as for plumbing. the water leaves through the top hole goes to the pump (outside the aquarium) is split into 2 and returns to the aquarium via the bottom holes (if you wanted you could connect the 2 bottom holes in the tank with 2 90* fitting and a pipe full of holes (making a spray bar)

i know you said simple, put rigging a closed loop isn't as hard as you think. also theres no risk of flooding with a closed loop :)

this set up will skim your water surface and remove all pumps/powerheads from inside the aquarium. too much clutter in a 10g really takes away from the overall look of the aquarium.

Thanks guys for replies. Thanks for suggesting closed loop. I think for now i will get two powerheads and place them on the back corners. I am planning to have some cheato in the tank behind the rockwork for nutrient control. I did read somewhere about converting hob to refugium. I will look into it. Thanks again for your suggetions.

Archived