Pod Your Reef

Yankee Tank II

yankeereefer

yankeereefer

Scored an iceprobe yesterday - Price? 3 diamond tip dremel bits

I love local reef networks!

Problem is, I didn't realize how big them things are - I have an AC20 on the mantis tank now, gonna have to upgrade to AC50 or 70 (probably the 70) - Good news there is that they're back online at Petsmart (hence my other post in Gen'l Discussion)

YR

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yankeereefer

Spoke with my local reefer friend with the mantis - Gonna pick it up this weekend.

Lots to do between now and then -

Will be painting the back of my spare 10g tomorrow - Rock and sand are warming up and filtering. Gonna get a piece of black acrylic cut for corner overflow - This will hide an AC intake, heater and provide surface skimming. Only hardware in tank / visible will be a powerhead for now.

Later the AC will be replaced by intake for a powerhead driven closed loop (rbuddah model). Ultimately, I will have the 10g daisy chained to two 5g tanks - 1 will be one of the mantis tanks, the other a small fuge. Gotta figure out how to get it all plumbed in the meantime.

Side note: Just pruned and flushed a ton of xenia from the 20H - I am beginning to hate that stuff.

why not youse the Xenia as a filtering method in the ten gallon?

it sounds like mine and your ten gallons may be very similar, but only pics will tell (hint hint)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
yankeereefer

Bad news

Did a water change last night - I was looking for The Colonel afterwards and saw his tail in the little cave he normally hangs out it. Upon closer examination, I noticed that his swimmers weren't moving. I took a chopstick and tapped the rock above the cave and still nothing.

I realized then that this was likely not going to be good. I began to remove some of the LR all the while still looking for the tail to move. When I got out the rock that forms his cave, my fears were confirmed. The Colonel is dead.

Although I knew better, I kept hoping that it might just be a molt. I removed the remainder of the LR, carefully inspecting each piece to no avail.

Not sure what happened - He was fine over the weekend. He was virtually disintegrated - All the "fleshy" part were gone, leaving behind exoskeleton and swimmers. I figure that worms and the one hermit in there cleaned him out.

RIP, buddy

DSC01995.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

Yankeereefer

• 2 months later...

This might be a little late, but I am interested in making a similar tank, and I wonder exactly what kind of pump to use for the return. Did you have the AC50 pumping fully open? Is 200 or so gph really necessary, or can I go with something smaller, hence cheaper, and you were just using what you had lying around. Thanks --

Archived