Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yankee Tank II

yankeereefer

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
travisurfer

I wouldnt feed guppies to him imo due to nutritional issues. On a side note. I finally uploaded some new pics on THE Mantis Tank Thread . :P

yankeereefer
I wouldnt feed guppies to him imo due to nutritional issues.

I figured the same - I read something similar someplace else regarding the use of goldfish for mantis or anenomes

On a side note. I finally uploaded some new pics on THE Mantis Tank Thread . :P

'bout time! :D

EL CHUPACABRA
I wouldnt feed guppies to him imo due to nutritional issues. On a side note. I finally uploaded some new pics on THE Mantis Tank Thread . :P

Come to think of it I heard of that from the LFS, I hate when their ridiculous info gets mixed in my head, they probally just wanted to sell me some $.10 guppies to get there profit magins up. Now that you mention it, I agree guppies are like the ramen noodles of the aquatic food chain.

Oh man, am I going to have to get a mantis for my 5.5 too, why can't you guys keep this stuff to yourself, for God's sake I am a addict, you can't wave this in my face and expect me not to want to try it. Deep breaths, one new tank at a time, deep breath. You people need to realize what your doing to the nano society. Pushers.

PS. The test went well, and (trumpets) I am officially in my major, no more weed out classes :D Summer has now officially begun!!!! Too bad there is only 11 days until school starts.

Yankee I second the motion for a FTS w/ mantis. I hear fingers make delicious bait to lure them out of hiding. I think you can take he/she/it on in a boxing match.

great tank! Lovely mantis too, I have to admit I find it strange that you built a partition to hide the pump then left it all visible!

yankeereefer
great tank! Lovely mantis too, I have to admit I find it strange that you built a partition to hide the pump then left it all visible!

LOL - You're right, tank is actually meant to be turned the other way - Eventually I think I'll get a small base and hood made with an endcap to cover the sideview

Thanks!

yankeereefer

here's a few pix from tonight:

FTS w/a couple new pieces of LR (1lb) added:

DSC01533.jpg

The Colonel on his way back from excavating project- Photo is a little fuzzy

DSC01534.jpg

My new terrestrial mantis friend

DSC01537.jpg

The Colonel is busy digging new tunnel / burrow in the back of the rock front center - Hopefully he will tunnel through to the cave in the middle of the tank where we can get a better look! He also periodically will poke his head out behind the leftmost piece of LR-

He's still a little sketchy, but seems to be getting a little more comfortable. More pix to follow once he is better acclimated to his surroundings.

yankeereefer

If they didn't ever get together, we wouldn't have baby mantii to grow up and be our pets!

I think they can be paired, but their tank would have to be large enough to accommodate each of their own territorial needs, say like 50g perhaps.

Wait a minute! - you're not suggesting that I "pair" the Colonel with my new "mantis" now are you??? :P

yankeereefer
looking really good yankee, my guy should be here sometime next week.

All Righttt!! Do you know what type of mantis it's supposed to be?

other than he seems to think it wouldn't survive the trip from Cali to Michigan and that after reading Dr Roy's packing suggestions for shipping mantis's he seemed to think it would be a lot of work and expensive. I did offer to take both off his hands and told him as long as it ended up being cheaper than what TampaBay Saltwater wanted to ship one to me we could work a deal.

can mantis be kept in pairs?

They will kill each other when one molts. Longterm you cant really keep mantis together. You can add them every now and then to get them to breed though.

yankeereefer
other than he seems to think it wouldn't survive the trip from Cali to Michigan and that after reading Dr Roy's packing suggestions for shipping mantis's he seemed to think it would be a lot of work and expensive. I did offer to take both off his hands and told him as long as it ended up being cheaper than what TampaBay Saltwater wanted to ship one to me we could work a deal.

that kinda sux - So you're still waiting to hear back on taking both or is the deal dead?

They will kill each other when one molts. Longterm you cant really keep mantis together. You can add them every now and then to get them to breed though.

;)

yankeereefer

Hey Trav - How long b4 cozmo started to kinda start adventuring beyond his burrow? I see him thru a small hole in the rockwork and he'll poke his head out a little around another - Other than that he periodically scurries back and forth from his main hideout doing excavation. I hope that once his tunnels are dug he'll become more visible.

LOL thats what im doing too. Hes real good to work with and a college student like myself. I told him i would rather deal through him then some corporation. He owns the ebay store carribeanfishandmore. Look him up his name is Zack.

Archived