SaltCritters.com

How to euthanize a shrimp

newreefguy

Have you read anything at all in this thread? When something freezes to death, it's brain shuts down and then it slowly dies. It's completely painless with barely any stress. Plus, like Pico said, we are warmblooded. It is painful for us. They are coldblooded. It's painless for them.

Maybe you should do some research. I was at the bookstore and read through all the fish books there and read that it is very painful for the fish.

Did you even bother to read the article: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-most-h...nize-a-fish.htm

"Unacceptable methods of euthanasia are: freezing, boiling, chopping, removing the fish from water, using a seltzer tablet, slamming, pithing, decapitating, or flushing down the toilet. These methods are slow, torturous, stressful or violent."

Maybe you should do some research. I was at the bookstore and read through all the fish books there and read that it is very painful for the fish.

Did you even bother to read the article: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-most-h...nize-a-fish.htm

"Unacceptable methods of euthanasia are: freezing, boiling, chopping, removing the fish from water, using a seltzer tablet, slamming, pithing, decapitating, or flushing down the toilet. These methods are slow, torturous, stressful or violent."

What's left? It's a damn fish, just kill it and get it over with. I know if I HAD to die I'd just say shoot me in the back of the head. Use a few bullets just to be sure.

Slam the fish against your back steps a couple times to the same effect and be done with it.

shivametimbas
What's left? It's a damn fish, just kill it and get it over with. I know if I HAD to die I'd just say shoot me in the back of the head. Use a few bullets just to be sure.

Slam the fish against your back steps a couple times to the same effect and be done with it.

i agree. 2 pages on how to kill a shrimp/fish kindly. sheesh!

DementedLullaby

If you use enough clove oil it will kill them :). You can also knock fish out with it like for puffers if you need to trim their teeth but enough is lethal.

Why I suggested placing the shrimp in the fridge first is these animals aren't used to cooler temps. Their bodies sort of hibernate then you can place them in the freezer to finish the job off :).

Clownfishcrazy1117

Yes, I have read it... But that isn't the only article on the internet about that kind of thing. Why the heck is this conversation so aggressive? (My post was just as bad I know) By the way, what bookstore did you go to? I have gone to several different ones and haven't found very many fish books at all.

Good point...

its a shrimp for godsake id just flush it

Agreed , its a ####### shrimp!! Just stomp it. It would be like someone dropping the astro-dome on your head from a height of about 2 miles, You wont even have time to say "oh Sh**T"

freezing is painless and most humane.

I don't want to start an argument or anything, but I've looked into buying live mice and then freezing them for snake food, and what I've read was disturbing. The crystalization of water on the lungs and the pain that causes in particular detered me.

That being said, that was a mammal, and this is not.

I'm REALLY suprised that no one offered up a good shrimp recipie, but one shrimp does not make a meal. Is that in bad taste?

Yes, I have read it... But that isn't the only article on the internet about that kind of thing. Why the heck is this conversation so aggressive? (My post was just as bad I know) By the way, what bookstore did you go to? I have gone to several different ones and haven't found very many fish books at all.

Good point...

Barnes & Noble Bookstore here in So Cal. They have plenty of fish books, I took a grip of them, sat down, and read. I was just defending my post, didn't mean to come off in a mean way.

energizer thread....

I dunno what you're referring to there, but that gives me a good idea. Place the shrimp/fish on a 9 volt battery so it's touching both contacts. Just pretend it's a criminal and deserved the green mile.

I dunno what you're referring to there, but that gives me a good idea. Place the shrimp/fish on a 9 volt battery so it's touching both contacts. Just pretend it's a criminal and deserved the green mile.

:haha::haha::haha:

I say toss it on the barbie. (The bar-b-q grill, not the doll. I know what you're thinking! Ya sickos) :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
If you use enough clove oil it will kill them :). You can also knock fish out with it like for puffers if you need to trim their teeth but enough is lethal.

Why I suggested placing the shrimp in the fridge first is these animals aren't used to cooler temps. Their bodies sort of hibernate then you can place them in the freezer to finish the job off :).

oooorrrrr... you can put it in a bag and smash it on the counter. it's not like it's going to some sort of "shrimp heaven" where it will remember anything if it actually does feel pain from the process.

Archived