Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to euthanize a shrimp

newreefguy

So I used an overflow strainer instead of a suction screen for the intake tube on my new closed loop system. Stupid. My cleaner shrimp molted and got stuck in the strainer. I pulled him out and he is still alive but his 'face' is all mangled and its just a matter of time before he dies. Very very sad. :( How do I put him out of his misery?

^^ I wouldn't exactly do that. lol

I saw something on TV about putting goldfish to sleep for surgery. Try putting him in a container of water with alot of baking soda.

HTH

texx

Fishfreak218

i agree with the squishing method..

thre is away to eauthanize a fish.. but idk if it works with shrimp/inverts.. i would just squish it..thats REALLY quick. put it in a plastic bag and close your eyes and stomp the $h!+ out of it...

thats pretty quick

echo-bravo 4-19

at the store what we do is (for fish and i guess it would work for a shrimp to ) put in bag of water and freez it or put in bag with no water and give it one good smack against the wall ;) i know its kinda weird but sry to here about the loss of your shrimp

DementedLullaby

I would use clove oil. Or put it in the fridge for 1h and then in the freezer overnight.

Sure the little fellah can't make a comeback?

there was a thread on here a while ago about euthanizing fish. the recomended method was vodka + freezer if i remember correctly.

edit: bummer, sorry for your loss.

edit: bummer, sorry for your loss.

Thanks. Its a bummer because I had him the longest.. longer than all my fish. Sure was pretty too. Here's to you Shrimpy!

shrimpy_sm.jpg

Why does everyone recommend freezing and say "it's the least painful?" Would you rather die by being shot in the back of the head, or by slowly freezing to death? That's why I say ziplock baggy + quick slam against cement.

funkyfish77

i have used both methods smashing it is easy and fast, the freezer takes

longer. i have not had to do it in a long time. both work

i was watching on discovery channel, about mount everest...

when you freeze to death, your body shuts down, become lethargic, eventually losing conscientiousness and die. its suppose to be painless, but slow

good clean whack against a wall or hard counter top always does the job for me :). when the fish is too big/tough for wacking, a hammer helps.

when i'm trout fishing, i always turn the fish upside down and smack the back of their heads on a rock before putting them on a stringer. i've never had anything but instant kills.

I was reading an article on breeding fish in AFM and they said that the most humaine way to cull fish was by freezing.

would you rather freeze to death slowly or have an instantaneous death?

besides, who wants to make room in their freezer for a fish bag. saltwater also takes forever to freeze, lol.

djchristone

er...to the clove oil...i believe some said on another forum that it doesn't kill fish but merely knocks them out...and also...oil and water doesn't mix...so people were also questioning that...

would you rather freeze to death slowly or have an instantaneous death?

besides, who wants to make room in their freezer for a fish bag. saltwater also takes forever to freeze, lol.

you can't compare us freezing to them freezing because they are cold blooded.

yankeereefer

Iced seltzer water and rice flour - I love tempura!

perhaps wasabi and pearl rice, sushi would work too....

Sorry for your loss

Sory bout your loss...I have heard of ppl killing them quickly then using the leftovers for a food source...guess that depends on how attached yu where to the critter.

Izzue

Clownfishcrazy1117
Freezing it to death is very painful for the fish.

Have you read anything at all in this thread? When something freezes to death, it's brain shuts down and then it slowly dies. It's completely painless with barely any stress. Plus, like Pico said, we are warmblooded. It is painful for us. They are coldblooded. It's painless for them.

Archived