inTank Media Baskets

Xenia eating hitch-hiker?

Vandur

All,

I rescently noticed this interesting little creature cruising around my tank. I noticed yesterday that my Xenia wasn't looking too good, and down around the base I noticed this little fellow munching away. He litterally ate almost halfway through the base before I was able to remove him. While it looks like the Xenia will be OK, I have removed him from the tank. Can anyone tell me what he is? He looks similar to xofinnocent's critter, but I am not 100%....

Here's the link to the image.

http://www.wirepatch.com/~rbaker/images/critter.gif

Thanks in advance!

~R

looks like a nudibranch and might be the same as xof. are you sure it wasn't eating algae and the xenia just got damaged from contact?

If so, Xof should consider keeping his out of the tank as well.

Crakeur,

It was DEFINATELY eating through the base of the Xenia. The Xenia itself looked like it had been hacked into with a chain saw. (More then 40% of the stalk near where it attaches to my rock was eaten/missing. The "edges" aroudn where he had been eating were turning up away from bad spot.) So I was fairly sure that the critter was not a very nice guy to have around.

I could have been wrong though, and something totally unrelated ate my Xenia... (Though he was munching on it at the time of "removal").

~R

its a nudi alrightnot sure what type, but i have 5 or so in a 100gl and have never seen them eat any corals or even go near them, they mainly eat algea of rocks an glass but maybe im jsut lucky i have no xenia in that tank, so maybe that is its natural food source

What I was implying was that perhaps the nudi released some toxins as a result of being touched by the xenia. The chem warefare might cause the xenia to rot a bit, which could look like it was "hacked at with a chainsaw."

Not ruling out the possibility of the nudi eating it either. Just throwing ideas around.

either way, I'd ditch the nudi at this point.

Everyone,

Thanks for your comments & suggestions. Wish I didn't have to get rid of it, because it does look really cool.. but.. if it's hurting the other tank life.. it's gotta go!

~R

Archived