Top Shelf Aquatics

Water suddenly got cloudy, haven't touched tank

horseflesh

While I am at work I have a browser window open on my webcam page so I can keep an eye on my tank. Today, just a few minutes ago, the image showed that the water has turned cloudy. It isn't extreme but it's definitely noticeable.

I haven't done anything to the tank for weeks other than adding top-off water and food.

Why would water go from clear to cloudy over just a few minutes, all by itself?

All I can think of is a biological process like egg release. I have seen snails release gametes before, but not in such volume that they clouded the water.

Any ideas?

ReefApprentice

Did something die because it's hot?

Doesn't look cloudy to me.

BTW awesome tank.

Sound like a spawning event. I have it happen a few times in my tank. Most times one or two snails will spawn and it gets a little cloudy, BUT every so often they all seem to be on the same page and the effect is quite dramatic. Tank becomes almost milky white. It usually clears in about 8 hours with a good skimmer and your corals will love the free snack.

If anything had died, it's something small like a snail. We have had hot weather here but the tank has been kept cool with a fan.

The only macro I have is chaeto which as I understand doesn't 'go sexual.'

Thanks guys. I'll have to check for dead critters when I get home, but hopefully it's just frisky snails. :)

The xenia isn't as big as it looks since it's so close to the camera. But it does have 2 fat stalks that are about 5" long. It used to be even bigger, but it started to do a little poorly and I had to trim some diseased looking tissue. (I think I got lazy with the water changes.)

I have been very happy with how the RBTA is doing. It's definitely my favorite critter.

reefkidsclownfish
The xenia isn't as big as it looks since it's so close to the camera. But it does have 2 fat stalks that are about 5" long. It used to be even bigger, but it started to do a little poorly and I had to trim some diseased looking tissue. (I think I got lazy with the water changes.)

I have been very happy with how the RBTA is doing. It's definitely my favorite critter.

does your tank have sand? because it could be that something is trying to burow into the sand, (again, my SWT is not set up yet, but ,my FWT has a fish that thinks it's funny to burow into it.

I have about 1/2 inch of sand. None of my livestock burrows though.

Oh, I just noticed that my GSP closed up. I'll have to check the pics and see when that happened. Hmm! Always an adventure...

reefkidsclownfish
I have about 1/2 inch of sand. None of my livestock burrows though.

Oh, I just noticed that my GSP closed up. I'll have to check the pics and see when that happened. Hmm! Always an adventure...

um? sorry, but your wrongd, ALL hermits and some stars have a tendisy to burow (at least a little) but, yeah, what you have couldn't have made that moch dabry in your water to make it cloudy.... i have no idea.... well, you have live rock, so you might have something in your tank that you haven't seen yet!

Mystery solved. The fitting on my Hydor-Flo came loose, so water was splashing around like crazy in the back. Bubbles and sediment from the compartment caused the cloudiness. As soon as I walked in the room I could tell it didn't sound right...

Some water even got up into the light hood, though the lights are OK. One fan died though.

My fw tank has so much less drama! :)

Archived