What to do about hair algae?

vike50brian

vike50brian

What are some steps i can take to prevent a full blown hair algae bloom? My tank is a 24g nano-cube that is 3 1/2 months old. Im starting to see some growth and would like to quickly get rid of it. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

travisurfer

Are you using stock filtration media? What fish do you have? How often do you do waterchanges and how much do you change? First, control the source by reducing nutrients. Turbo snails are also excellent hair algae grazers but I would try to reduce nutrients first.

^^Good advice right there. The algae needs light and nutrients to grow, so unless you keep your tank in the dark you have to remove the nutrients through water changes (and make sure you are using quality water to begin with free of nitrates and phosphates), or removal of anything in the system that might be harboring nitrates (sponges, ceramic or "bioball" media). Another option not mentioned is a refugium with macroalgae to compete for the available nutrients with the hair algae, or put some xenia in your tank which will accomplish the same thing. If you are already doing those things, put more invertebrates in your tank that will eat it. If that doesn't work start manually brushing it off the rock. If that doesn't work you might be in trouble.

I have a Red Scarlet hermit crab and he absolultey loves to eat hair algae. Recently purchased my first zoo frag and it was on sale because it had hair algae on it and within a day or two it was gone!

HTH

Prowland

masterbuilder

Had a terrible Hair Algae problem in my tank that happened while it was cycling. Got a large Turbo snail and in 3 days it was ALL gone. None has returned. Gave the snail to the LFS, has tour of duty was over.

Mark

Archived