Helfrichi firefish

ezcompany

I don't know what size tank you've got the Anthias in, but they're active swimmers. I added one to my 46g, and while he did bring out the shy fish, he bulled the Coral Beauty and Lawnmower. They're also agressive eaters. Not aggressive as attack other fish, but when the food goes in, they're all over the tank eating as much as they can.

Mel

I think they would be fine, however, I think Anthias belong in nothing smaller than 50 gallons, feeding 2-3 times daily is just too much for anything smaller.

Helfrichi huh? DAMN! That is a serious chunk of change, make sure you have a canopy! IMO, when Purple Firefish get older, and start to fill in color wise, they are much more attractive then helfrichi's, just my 2 cents!

As far as them getting along, I think you would be fine.

D

hmmm. for those of you that know my tank its a 24 gallon. but i'm getting a pretty sweet deal on a helfrichi so i'm considering him :)

btw, do you think eggcrate holes are too big that he can jump right through it? i don't want to add a mesh or something to further restrict my lighting, and the glass cover simply will not do with this heat!

Btw, the lyretail is a female, the orange smaller one than the red male

The anthias is an aggressive eater and the firefish is a straight up WUSS....You need to make sure the anthias doesnt scare off the firefish when feeding time comes around...I also agree that the tank is a little small for an anthias depending on its size right now....BTW: Anthias also do long term a lot better when you have at least 3 of them

yeah, but can't fit 3 of them in my tank. i almost purchased a male one yesterday, but figured it'd be too cramped.

If you can't fit 3 in your tank then don't buy one. There are so many fish out there to choose from. There is no excuse for getting something that won't thrive in your tank.

what are you talking about, the LFS didnt even have 3 to choose from, and the one i got i nursed back to health. eventually she can be placed in a new home.

If it was me, and my tank, I would take the Anthias back to the LFS and get the Helfrichi. I think all parties (both fish and you) would be happier. JMO

Mel

i've thought of that.

but i'm also worried that the heat will kill the helfrichi. my tank frequents 85F

while they may be small, anthias need AT LEAST a 75 gallon tank. they are open water fish, and stress easily in cramped conditions, and i've seen them have heart attacks in even a 75 during water changes. they also do better in schools of 3 or more. as mentioned before, they are aggressive eaters, and they also need to be fed at least 2-3 times per day, because they feed throughout the water column instead of picking at live rock like most fish, so all of there nutrition has to come from what you give them.

How's your head after it was bitten off? Anyway, I put my Helfrichi and Yasha Haze in with a yellow assessor and a well established Flameback Angel. The Helfrichi never hid once and actually pushes right back at the angel. He eats everything and is an awesome addition. IMO they aren't as timid as red or purple firefish and the colors can not be matched. They are awesome fish and if you get a good deal, grab it. I got an INCREDIBLE deal on mine. They are known to be jumpers and I think they would fit right through an eggcrate hole. As far as getting along with the Anthias, try it and if there is a problem, get rid of the Anthias. Then not only will the Helfrichi be fine but the Anthias police won't be breathing down your neck.

yeah i've never been chased by any police till today, the anthia police.

mofos...lol

once again, i'd like to state that my anthia was rescued. it was LIMP in the LFS and now its eating food like crazy.

it feeds on my own mixture: formula 1 & 2, cyclopeeze, vitamin enriched mysis, mixed in with reef roids. plus all the pods that don't seem to dwindle in population at all in my tank that feed on DTs.

Guys, i cannot, for the life of me find her in my tank.

He's not even in my living room carpet. So my questions:

1.) do they usually hide in the beginning?

2.) what are the chances of her jumping in the first few weeks?

I think it's dead. When you posted you had to find a good cover I was amazed. I'm sure it cost a lot of money and not having a cover is way too risky. It's probably out of the tank and you'll find it eventually, but it could (as I hope) be hiding...but I think you'd notice it with enough poking around if that were the case.

The first few weeks is the perfect time for a fish to jump. They usually do because of stress or being harassed, which usually happens soon after being added to a tank. I had a Coral Beauty jump within 24hrs of adding it to the display.

Mel

there's eggcrate over it. i have searched thoroughly around the apartment. if it jumped how far would it've strayed from the tank?

Fish can get pretty far carpet surfing. I had a Siamese Algae Eater get clear across the room and around a corner. Easily 10-15 feet from the tank. Check against the walls. They usually get stuck there.

Hopefully the fish is just hiding and will pop up soon. I'm thinking about getting a purple firefish and that's nowhere the price of the Helfrichi. I'd be bummed if it jumped.

Once my firefish freaked out and tried to jump out of my closed nano cube. He hit the top and bounced into the second chamber. I had to remove all the rock rubble in there and blindly fish him out. When I put him back in the display, he swam to his hiding spot and stayed there for 18 hours. He's much better now.

Robb

Archived