Top Shelf Aquatics

High Temps: How high is too High?

swtshpmillionair

swtshpmillionair

Ive had my Aquapod 12 for 3 days now and temps are running high. I do not want to run my AC all day, so what are some easy temp fixes? My temp reaches 87! everything looks fine, but its only been a few days so i dont know how they will be doing in a while.

Can someone post links to the new pumps people are putting on?

Upgraded fans?

good priced chiller?

Thanks!

bluebastion

What are your ambient tempetures at day time hours? If you are not willing to run the A/C when your room is 80 or above... then your tank will more likely be at least around the same temp W/O the tank lights on.

There are some people on this forum that moderate tank temps just by ambient temperatures only.... and with a tank that size (12 gallons) you're going to be doing the same whether you like it or not. I suggest you set the a/c thermostat max @ 77 degrees. 80 is already exiting onto... "HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE.... dannnadana dunnn dunn dunn daaana "... *cough* sorry.

You can be my wingman anyday.

I have an Aquapod 24 gallon with stock lighting and my temps have been running between 78-80.7 (using the coral life digital thermometer, accuracy is not very good +- 1.5 degrees :huh: )

I have installed an additional fan and cut out the grills (from around the fan housing and also the vent that's above the lights) to maximize the airflow.

The fish stores say to keep the temp about 77-78 but I can't do that with the lights off even though I keep my house at 73-74 degrees.

I removed the stock pump and installed a MJ1200 and it hasn't help drop the temp at all :huh:

I am thinking about just going with one MJ900 and see what that does?

Any more advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

80 - 81 even 82 is OK. Look at reef temps. If your temps consistently go over 85 or 86 I'd do something. If your temps are 78 - 80.7 you're fine. Don't worry about it.

If temps are 87 I'd look at adding fans or an ICA.

Ritsuko Nashida

If you go above 82 for other than just very breif periods your going to be seriously pushing your luck. If your temps are hitting 87...you need to run that AC unit or invest in a chiller. Its possible with some good ventilation you might be able to drop the temps by 4-5 degrees

Well according to some, the MJ1200 is the same wattage as the stock pump, so temps with it might not drop much if any, I hear the MJ900 can drop temps 1-3 degrees.

As for heat, UNLESS you run a chiller, the water temp will always be higher than the ambient temp, and by at least like 3 degrees or more. If you chose not to run A/C and your place where the tank is at gets up to to 80F or hotter, then expect your tank to hit a high temp as well. Firstly invest in a Maxijet MJ900 pump. It has a higher flow rate than stock, and runs at half the wattage, so it'll run cooler. Add a 2nd fan if you wish, and cut the inner slats out of the fan venting for better flow. Make sure all fans are blowing OUT instead of in. You'll need a 60x60mm fan, that's a slim profile. Lastly you can invest in an ICA chiller from Nanotuners.com I was the first person to order the newly released version for the Aquapod 12g and I just installed it this weekend. So far my tank temps are at 84F with the lights on and hood closed. Hot yes, but it beats 86F with the hood propped OPEN and the lights off. Hope that helps you out some and good luck!

swtshpmillionair

ugh... i checked temps first thing this morning... 85.9! (turns ac on...)

Phixion, was that ICA chiller hard to install?

ugh... i checked temps first thing this morning... 85.9! (turns ac on...)

Phixion, was that ICA chiller hard to install?

I know all too well how that is. :( Just the other morning I had the A/C off at night, and decided in error to turn off the fan I had blowing on the tank, while my freshly installed ICA built up it's chilling power, and the tank was at 85.9 when I woke up. :( This was only because the ICA takes about 36-48 hours to start noticing it's affects, and not the 8 hours I had left it during the night. Anyways the ICA is pretty straight-forward to install. Easy I wouldn't totally say, since there is some skill involved in installing it, mainly in the cutting of the metal reflector and cutting of the clear plastic light cover. But if you have a Dremal or similar rotory cutting tool, it shouldn't be too hard. Total install time I'd say is about an hour including the neseccary cutting and all. But overall it wasn't too bad, though I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have done a lot of modding type stuff with my car, so this was pretty easy due to that. I'm eager to see what the temps are when I get home this afternoon. Tank was at 84.1 last night when I went to bed. I left the A/C on @ 78 during the night, but it didn't stay on very much since my apartment cooled to below 78 just from it being night time. Tank was 79.8 this morning when I left for work, so YAY for cooling! That was all with the hood CLOSED but the feeding lid open. My Tom's thermometer I have in the tank records the highest and lowest temps until it's rest, so I'll know how hot it got through out the day as well as it's low.

The ICA doesnt work very good from what Ive seen....I have my lights coming on at 6pm and going off at midnight and my tank is hovering around 80 degrees....I would change your lights so they run at night...

If you want to stop high temps then go with a chiller. I think a lot of people are going with these.

http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotune...9ab63ed40a58ed8

If you want to mod yourself, then there is a hundred things you can do to try and get the temps down. I suggset pump swap to MJ900, and add a fan and have both fans blowing into the hood. Thats how I have mine set up and my tank never goes over 80 degrees with an ambient room temp of 85 during the day.

But remember that my AC is running 10 hours a day set at 75 degrees racking up my electric bill. By the end of summer you might have been able to buy 3 chillers with the extra money you pay in electric bills. Just something to think about. After my $350 electric bill last month, a chiller dosn't seem all that expensive. If my next one is $250 or above, Im going to get the JBJ Arctica.

swtshpmillionair

OK....

after AC was on all day my temp is still high, 84.0

ok time for a pump swap first to see what happends.

I dont see any stress from any coral yet :)

The ICA doesnt work very good from what Ive seen....I have my lights coming on at 6pm and going off at midnight and my tank is hovering around 80 degrees....I would change your lights so they run at night...

Works good for me. Before ICA: 85 - 86f. After ICA: 80 - 81f. Ambient: 78f. Sure the ICA won't achieve the same pull-down as a regular chiller, but then it wasn't designed to. Doesn't cost as much either.

Works good for me. Before ICA: 85 - 86f. After ICA: 80 - 81f. Ambient: 78f. Sure the ICA won't achieve the same pull-down as a regular chiller, but then it wasn't designed to. Doesn't cost as much either.

Exactly, it's mean just for nano cubes really. 24g and smaller though I'm sure 12g sees cooler temps than 24g when using the ICA. Anyways, my ICA is working decently now and temps remained at 82.4 all day (that being the peak my Tom's thermometer recorded since I reset it when I left for work) and that's with the A/C on at 77. Temps before the ICA were 85-86 here as well.

Exactly, it's mean just for nano cubes really. 24g and smaller though I'm sure 12g sees cooler temps than 24g when using the ICA. Anyways, my ICA is working decently now and temps remained at 82.4 all day (that being the peak my Tom's thermometer recorded since I reset it when I left for work) and that's with the A/C on at 77. Temps before the ICA were 85-86 here as well.

What would be a good solution for a 10 gallon AGA nano setup? I have a 70 watt mh pendant over it and a pc fan which cools the tank ok but i'd like to have more consistent cooling. 83 is usually the highest it gets with no AC on in the room but i'm trying to prevent the temp fluctuations and keep it steady at 80 or less.

What would be a good solution for a 10 gallon AGA nano setup? I have a 70 watt mh pendant over it and a pc fan which cools the tank ok but i'd like to have more consistent cooling. 83 is usually the highest it gets with no AC on in the room but i'm trying to prevent the temp fluctuations and keep it steady at 80 or less.

83 isn't bad... perhaps raise your heater temps so that it won't drop below 80? That way you can more safely assure no more than a 3 degree temp spread fluctuation... Just a thought though. Ideally my tank seems it's best between 81 and 82F. Higher than 83 and lower than 79 and the corals all seem to close up. my skunk cleaner however seems happy no matter what, strange fella...

Archived