Cultivated Reef

my new seahorse tank

snowlancer2720

snowlancer2720

so i set this tank up about 2 months ago now, and i finally got around to taking some pictures, leave some comments if you like.

since most people post their FTS last, i think ill do mine first...

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00470.jpg

i couldnt resist this picture :D

DSC00467.jpg

snowlancer2720

thanks ff, i had a feeling you would be the first to reply :P your tank is coming out amazing, i wish i had that sort of cash, lol

Nishant3789

nice tank! the only thing i dont really like, which is something that irks me in all saltwater tanks and i guess freshwater too even, is the fake plant. buy some cool macro algae or a gorgorian for the seahorse to hang on it. just a suggestion, nice tank though.

Looks like you are mixing different species of SH in the same tank. Are these SH from the breeder and raised in a connected system?

While it is not a 100% guarantee, mixing different species of SH is not a recommanded practice. Some pathogenic strains of Vibrio sp. are asymptomatic on particular species of SH while being highly pathogenic to other species. So, some species are carriers, and this can be passed onto susceptible species.

If you want to read more about this, visit www.seahorse.org, there have been plenty of detailed discussions on this topic.

Other than that, your tank is looking good. Perhaps a black or blue background will help cover up all the equipments and wires at the back. Perhaps you should place the sponge closer to the return flow to provide it with a little more flow.

FishFreak77

That tank is so cool looking. I have always had a soft spot for seahorses. How many do you have in their? Are you going to add more macro and rock(not that I'm complaining).

snowlancer2720

grr, i just typed up a long response and then lost it b/c i forgot to log in...so heres the abridged version

Paul - Thanks for the compliment, nice car by the way!

FF218 - actually they are, what i think, are 2 erectus's, the yellow female and the black male, and 2 kelloggi which are both female, no men for them! :D I got them at a LFS near me. I wasnt too sure about the whole mail order thing...

Nishant - the plant should only be temporary, the light i have is a 20w that came with the tank. Im kind of low on cash right now...thanks for the compliment :D

Louis - I bought both of them from the same dealer and was told that they would be ok together. I trust this guy who told me so hopefully he was right.

FF77 - I have 4 in there, 2 erectus and 2 kelloggi. as soon as i get more money, i sure will be adding some sort of something :D

"Louis - I bought both of them from the same dealer and was told that they would be ok together. I trust this guy who told me so hopefully he was right.

FF77 - I have 4 in there, 2 erectus and 2 kelloggi. as soon as i get more money, i sure will be adding some sort of something :D"

I am merely restating what Louis T said but i think its worth repeating

Never ever trust your local "dealer" (and LFS? ) when it comes to specialized fish such as seahorses. You should go to seahorse.org now and stock up on meds. Hopefully you won't need them but chances are you will. I lost 3 out of my 4 seahorses for mixing the same species you did ("kellogi" (most are not) and erectus). Even people who have been rasiing seahorses for years and try to mix suffer losses. Don't mean to bum you out --LFS just want to sell you expensive fish. Even those that are not purely profit driven are not spending all thier free time reading up on the latest seahorse husbandry practices...

PS it took mine 2 month after mixing to display symptoms. Vibrio sp. will wait dormant (although it can attack right away too) until one tank param is a little off and boom- there goes your herd (or at least the ones that were not carriers).

best of luck.

Archived