Underwater vehicle for aquarium?

sr71pav

After seeing various DARPA proposals for aircraft, I had a similar thought for underwater, esp. an aquarium. This is a bit off the wall perhaps, but I wonder if it might not just be do-able somehow. A small (less than 6 inches, preferable less than 3) vehicle that could be remotely operated to swim about your tank and take pictures. It'd be an entirely different view than we can get with an external camera. Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to get a picture from inside the rockwork? Or see what it is your new YWG sees from his burrow?

If I could figure this out, I just think it would be a fascinating new look at our little worlds. Or am I just smoking the Dutch cleanser?

travisurfer

Dont worry, you havent been smoking anything(I hope). There is a little rc sub with lights that some people have used in their aquariums. I tried a search but I couldnt find it. It was so cool too.

possible? sure.

economical? no way.

it would be cheaper to get an underwater housing for your camera and stick your arm in the tank and take the shots. you would be able to get better shots that way anyways (higer MP camera, more features, etc)

my methoddefinitely lacks the "cool" factor though. i'd guess it would cost you AT LEAST $1000 to build one of those little guys. thats assuming you know what you are doing in terms of microcontroller design and hardware selection, not to mention waterproofing!

i have a water proof housing but I dont trust my mantis not to hit it.

yeah, i wouldn't chance it unless you planned on getting a new camera!

travisurfer

especially because I would have to get another housing and memory card. thats $450 for a camera thats my dad's. :o

reefkidsclownfish
After seeing various DARPA proposals for aircraft, I had a similar thought for underwater, esp. an aquarium. This is a bit off the wall perhaps, but I wonder if it might not just be do-able somehow. A small (less than 6 inches, preferable less than 3) vehicle that could be remotely operated to swim about your tank and take pictures. It'd be an entirely different view than we can get with an external camera. Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to get a picture from inside the rockwork? Or see what it is your new YWG sees from his burrow?

If I could figure this out, I just think it would be a fascinating new look at our little worlds. Or am I just smoking the Dutch cleanser?

yeah, it aint a strange idea, they actualy have these, the small little (5 and a half") submorin things with camras in them, you can hook them up to your pc and download the pictures from the camra, (the only problem is is that it cost about 200 dollers, i diseded that it was to much for me to want.)

What about an endoscope? The kind of thing the Doctor runs up you a$$ :o to look for hemorroids. :blink::scarry:

you mean a proctologist?

Another possible option would be a borescope. I just want to find my stupid YWG and pistol. I just got them yesterday, so now I'm curious about where they're at. I catch the YWG every now and again, but then I won't see him for awhile. Granted, it's only the second day, but I just want to know he's eating ok.

travisurfer

There is some kind of magnifying glass that lets you take pics/video through the glass. Cant remember where I saw it though.

bluebastion
possible? sure.

economical? no way.

it would be cheaper to get an underwater housing for your camera and stick your arm in the tank and take the shots. you would be able to get better shots that way anyways (higer MP camera, more features, etc)

my methoddefinitely lacks the "cool" factor though. i'd guess it would cost you AT LEAST $1000 to build one of those little guys. thats assuming you know what you are doing in terms of microcontroller design and hardware selection, not to mention waterproofing!

I think you can build one for less than $500. And if anything you would just need to have knowledge of water proofing a wireless camera and the use of epoxy. Here's some links for you guys to use your imagination (and maybe even your money if it's worth it to you).

Submarine for less than $35 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-RC-Submarine-Remo...1QQcmdZViewItem

Wireless battery powered mini video camera for less than $100 (includes wireless reciever):

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WIRELESS-COLOR-PIN...1QQcmdZViewItem

Note: The camera is a low resolution camera, but for the portability (weighs less than an ounce) it's a great choice to pair with that mini submarine.

Here's another link to a cheaper submarine:

http://www.raidentech.com/mirarecorcsu1.html

And another for the camera but for a full more stable price.

http://www.raidentech.com/24ghzmiwicoc.html

And lastly for an already fully submersible camera (as well as superior in picture quality compared to the former).... you'll have to like a tethered submarine, since it's not wireless. Color will cost you...

http://home-alarm-system.youdoitsecurity.c...ams-CVC6990.asp

djchristone

lol bluebastion...i'm laughing my butt off at the site of my clowns just giving a o.O wtf? look as the submarine swam buy and then flashed after taking a pic :P

bluebastion

Oops I guess I didn't make it clear. The "cameras" I featured were both video cameras. I think an actual "snap shot" camera that is both wireless and compact would be a somewhat impossible find.

Archived