Coral Vue Hydros

New 3g Picotope

ToeJam

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I guess I hadn't updated this in a while. Here are a few pictures from a while back when I added the AC70 & skimmer.

FTS09212006_Closeup.jpg

leftSide2.jpg

rightSide.jpg

AquaClearMod.jpg

AquaClearSkimmer.jpg

avalanche1201

what are u using as a fuge? and correct me if im wrong...but all of ur filtration is done by LR, LS and ur fuge...no HOB filters, or carbon or anything

what are u using as a fuge? and correct me if im wrong...but all of ur filtration is done by LR, LS and ur fuge...no HOB filters, or carbon or anything

I have live rock, sand, the fuge with chaeto and the skimmer. I am not running any carbon right now. I try to do a 1 gallon water change every other week.

avalanche1201

sounds good...I think ill move towards that one day, ive got 140 gph...maybe ill turn the 100gph filter into the fuge and leave the 40 gph for carbon etc

Got the sandbed removed today and re-aquascaped. I will post some pics later this week. Hoping to get my halide going this week also. My new bulb was suposed to be here Friday but it didn't come.

any updates toe? :) tank looks great and cant wait to see your changes

I got the halide hooked up this morning, but I forgot to bring my camera in. I need to tweak the stand a little. The light is sitting about 12" off the water and I want it closer to 8".

I ended up using lighting conduit to make the stand. Something like this from a side view.

Light4.JPG

I had a floor lamp base that I was able to take the base from and mount the conduit to.

I will try to get some pics over the weekend. I am going to run the PC lights over the weekend. I don't want the first few days of running the halide to happen while I am not here. The plan is to go full time with it starting on Tuesday morning. I have had it running over the tank for about 5 hours today to get some burn in on the bulb and it has not affected the temp much. It is about 1/2 degree warmer. That might get worse when I lower the light. I still need to get a fan on the light. I am hoping that doing that will keep the temp in check.

wow i need that light fixture and light im looking everywhere can you help me out!! im ready to mod my picotope!

The ballast is a NAIS electronic that I picked up on eBay. You can look in the lighting forum on this site. There is a thread for a DIY halide pendant. I just went from that and made a stand from conduit. I will post pics Monday or Tuesday.

Have you had any problems with your sand flying every where because it is so light? I love your sexy shrimp btw.

I did have that problem, but I pulled the sandbed to allow for more flow.

Here is a new full tank shot.

Photo0002_Medium_.jpg

how are the candy canes doing?

The candy canes are doing great. 2 of the heads have split since I bought it. I will be getting better pictures up tomorrow. The one in the post above was taken with my cell phone, so it is pretty crappy.

Here are a couple new photos. The first one shows the new halide that I am in the process of setting up. The PC light will stay until I feel comfortable with the halide.

IMG_3047_Medium_.JPG

And here is a new full tank shot.

FTS02212007_17-40.jpg

avalanche1201

very nice, cant wait for my CUC to finish doin there clean up job...im covered in algea all over...then its time to make it look sexy :)

Couple updates:

I added a red and a green Monti Cap today. I took a couple tin frags from my tank at home and brought them in. I have been getting such good growth on these at home, so I am thinking it will be no time at all until these are huge as well.

I also replaced my top off container with a 3 liter jug. This should allow me to go at least a week without refilling. At that point, my maintainence should be limited to a weekly water change and refill of the topoff container. This tank is well on its way to my goal of near-zero mainainence. Can't really count water changes, as you can never really get out of those. I just don't want to have to deal with topping off the tank every day and dosing addatives. I am probably going to have to start adding calk to my top off soon, as I am going to be housing a clam and a few pieces of SPS in the next month or so.

The shrimp are happy, my crabs and snails are keeping the algae under control. All params are at 0. My lunar eclipse zoos have gone from a single polyp to 5 polyps and my candy cane has split heads twice. Overall I am very happy with the direction this tank is taking.

Here is my current stocking list:

Inverts

2 blue leg hermits

1 astrea snail

3 sexy shrimp

SPS

Green hydnophora

Green monti cap

Red monti cap

LPS

Candy cane

Frogspawn

Softies

Toadstool leather

Xenia

3 green ricordia

2 green mushrooms

Zoo's & Polyps

Lunar eclipse palys

Green zoos

Green button polyps

Orange center zoos with green skirts

Well, it has been determined that the ballast for my MH is bad. I talked to the support people at Aromat and they ran through some tests with me and figured out that it is probably a blown capacitor in the ballast and this is not upping the voltage enough to fire the bulb. The ballast was made in 1998 but was brand new when I got it. Aromat is being very kind and shipping me out a new ballast this week, so hopefully I will have my halide up and running this weekend or monday.

Got the new ballast in from Aromat today and got it all wired in. The problem was definately the ballast, as I have a nice bright halide over my tank now. I will try to post pics tonight.

Hey ToeJam, quick off topic, I got specs almost exactly like yours and I'm trying to put a skimmer in my fuge. Where'd you find your's? Sander only seems to be in the UK, and how well does it work? Did you mod it?

Thanks,

Jayson

Hey ToeJam, quick off topic, I got specs almost exactly like yours and I'm trying to put a skimmer in my fuge. Where'd you find your's? Sander only seems to be in the UK, and how well does it work? Did you mod it?

Thanks,

Jayson

The skimmer works pretty good. I bought it at one of our local fish stores. I think it cost about $25, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I have not made any modifications to it.

Archived