Tank Restarting...

JSlamka5685

JSlamka5685

Not sure if you saw my other post but, after almost a full year, going through an eviction, and a tank crash - my aquarium has now been fried due to my dad filling breakers (pretty sure this caused it).

I want to restart the tank but, this time I want to make it a very simple tank to run because I am assembling this for my mom/entire family. I want to make an invert-only tank but need to know what this require? I will not be keeping corals any more unfornately (the loss really angered me). I didn't want to have to post on here to ask this question but I could not find a site about making aquariums like this. Basically, I am going to try and have the water cycle the ammonia and everything for a week, then I am going to test it and see where it stands.

I eventually want to the tank down to about 7-9 lbs. of live rock, 5-6 random hermits, a starfish of some type, possibly an urchin (I don't know much about these so I need to find out more about this), a shrimp or two, and some snails. I have as of now 1 twenty lb. bag of live sand from arag-alive and 25 lbs. of GARF Grunge (made a huge mistake with this by adding it after running the tank for 6 months - very bad idea). I want to make the sand more apparent than the GARF Grunge by putting a lot of the big grunge pieces into my filter compartments.

Let me know what you all think of the idea.

JSlamka5685
how big will the tank be? give it a month to fully stabilize and avoid problems.

It is a JBJ 12 gal. nano cube. I am letting it set with the lights off for a week with the filter running. The tank stays at a stable 76 degrees fahrenheit with my house temp. I plan on doing a water test when I get back home and then doing a 25% water change and letting it set again for a week. I will probably see if I can convince my family to start a lighting cycle again.

Could any one give me information on what I need to do or anytthing about how to keep the inverts healthy. Any additional filtration, additives (chemicals, etc.), special food, anything at all - please let me know. I am pretty sure it should be self-fed (I am going to buy another batch of copepods to restart the colony I had).

If the tank is inverts only (and it is 12 gal.), what could I put in? I was thinking about around 6 hermits, 2-3 shrimp, various snails, and possibly a starfish. Also, could I reduce my rock poundage down to about 8 lbs instead of 12-14 lbs (I want a more open sand bed).

I have GARF Grunge in my tank as well as live sand. Would it be a good idea to take the big chunks of GARF Grunge and putting them into the back chamber be a bad idea?

Archived