ReefCleaners.org

Ghost shrimp in reefs?

irishtexan

I went to the gulf to do some collecting and I found a shrimp. Today I put it into my 5.5G that just finished cycling. It looks exactly like a ghost shrimp. Can you acclimate FW ghost shrimp to SW?

Thanks

texx

ps-Are they reef safe?

i've seen ghost shrimp live in SW for a few days ~ week(s). so theoretically, i would say "yes" they can be acclimated to SW but they may not live for long.

FWIW, i don't think you should be "collecting" and "finding" stuff from the gulf to put into your tank. more than likely these animals will die or pose a threat (immunologically) to the other animals in your tank.

firefishbrain

usually they last long enough for seahorses to hunt them down, but I'm not sure bout their longetivity by themselves, cuz as far as I know, they are a FW shrimp

Ok thanks. He has been in captivity for about 1month now. When I caught him from the ocean so he was in SW already.

Anyone else?

texx

DementedLullaby

Some ghosts are collected from FW while others from SW while others from BW...

Just be sure what you're putting in the tank is indeed from the proper area and you are good to go. I would not buy a ghost shrimp being kept in FW from a store and dump him into SW even with slow drip acclimation. That's kind of off topic since this one is collected :) so yeah. Good luck.

we were talking about this over in I think it was the beginners section earlier this week (or was it last week... ) anyways as an experiment I took one of my feeders (ie ghost shrimp purchased in FW and living in my FW QT/gut loading tank) and did a very quick acclimation and put him in my 5g nano... he's been in there for days, at first my goby (smaller then him) wanted to eat him but so far he's just chilling on the rocks and picking at algae.

I know when I feed them to my green spotted puffer (currently BW at 1.015) they live just fine with no acclimation at all (until my puffer catches them that is).

LOL. Yeah my ghost is a pretty cool little guy. All my test were at 0 after 8 days of cycling so I figured that if he lived he would be a cool addition and I know that my tank has cycled and if not then o well.

texx

djchristone

hum...i used to be into shrimp for a while and hung out at petshrimp.com...you could get more info over there. just don't ask mustafa about using ghost shrimp as feeders :P

but anyway, female ghost shrimp need brackish water to spawn their eggs or for the eggs to develop correctly...so i would assume that they'd be ok in sw.

Archived