Top Shelf Aquatics

Do you need to acclimate hermit crabs?

gnesh69

you really should. LFS usually keep their salinity either really high or really low... take the time, it'll only take about 30 minutes to get them acclimated. invertebrates are usually pretty sensitive to salt content, and a shock could kill them.

Most ppl say dump them in...I check the salinity of water their in...If it is way off from my tank I drip acclimate fairly quick though...say 30 minutes.

Lately Ive been lucky and LFS is keeping all Inverts and corals 1.024...I keep my tank 1.025

Their fish on the other hand is a totally different story...they keep fish 1.017...they say this helps keep down sicknesseseseseses. Any fish have to be dripped right or major shock.

Izzue

travisurfer

I just temp aclimated. Read the information section on this site. It seems you arent sure of acclimating and maybe some other things. Itll help you out a lot though. hth

I acclimate everything in my aquarium, so yes it is not going to hurt anything if you wait 15-20 minutes and put some of your water on the bag; but if you start taking chances and not acclimating thing, you never know. So I wouldn't risk it and just acclimate them. :D

supersecretshinto
I just temp aclimated. Read the information section on this site. It seems you arent sure of acclimating and maybe some other things. Itll help you out a lot though. hth

It has been my experience that temperature acclimation is pure superstition. It may cause a problem if there was a significant difference in temp but that is never the case. Do any of you actually believe that a shift in temperature of 5-10F would cause an animal to go into shock and die? If this were true I could go to the shallow part of a lake and scare all of the fish to deeper and colder waters, where they would start going belly up from the shock, allowing me to pluck them from the water without even casting a line! I have never acclimated anything, ever, and I have yet to see a creature die from shock (fish, coral, crab, you name it). However, I do agree that if the salinity of your lfs' water is alot different than yours there could be a problem. A good lfs will keep the salinity where it would be in the wild. Many say they keep it low to help with parasites etc. but in reality they're probably just cheap and couldn't care less about the health of their livestock.

Or with small tanks like mine - I just buy my saltwater FROM the LFS :)

so I know it's the same stuff they just were in.

Most will say that it is unnecessary. I say you spent good money & its a living creature. Take 30-45 minutes and do the right thing. Everyone will be happier in the end.

I would say that you should go ahead and acclimate hermit cabs at least 15 minutes even though they are very hardy.

I drip acclimated mine for about an hour. The salinity from the lfs was about .4 lower than mine. I know they're just little crabs but they're still living things that can benefit from a little extra TLC. :)

It has been my experience that temperature acclimation is pure superstition. It may cause a problem if there was a significant difference in temp but that is never the case. Do any of you actually believe that a shift in temperature of 5-10F would cause an animal to go into shock and die? If this were true I could go to the shallow part of a lake and scare all of the fish to deeper and colder waters, where they would start going belly up from the shock, allowing me to pluck them from the water without even casting a line! I have never acclimated anything, ever, and I have yet to see a creature die from shock (fish, coral, crab, you name it). However, I do agree that if the salinity of your lfs' water is alot different than yours there could be a problem. A good lfs will keep the salinity where it would be in the wild. Many say they keep it low to help with parasites etc. but in reality they're probably just cheap and couldn't care less about the health of their livestock.

agreed

i think that die off that most people associate with lack of acclimation, whether it be temp, chemistry, salinity, etc., is more often 1) preexisting health conditions, probably due to its health at the LFS - 2) the stress of shipping/netting/packaging, etc., the transit to your tank.

agreed

i think that die off that most people associate with lack of acclimation, whether it be temp, chemistry, salinity, etc., is more often 1) preexisting health conditions, probably due to its health at the LFS - 2) the stress of shipping/netting/packaging, etc., the transit to your tank.

I agree also...

DementedLullaby

When I bought my hermits way back I acclimated the 3 I bought and they were fine. Later that night I noticed a fourth walking around as happy as the rest. What happened was I got some free shells in another bag and the dude hadn't noticed a hermit living in one. I had just dumped that stuff in the tank. He's still just fine :) never noticed any big shock and the water was quite low(1.018). I would of acclimated him anyway if I knew the little fellah was there but just some of my experience...

supersecretshinto
When I bought my hermits way back I acclimated the 3 I bought and they were fine. Later that night I noticed a fourth walking around as happy as the rest. What happened was I got some free shells in another bag and the dude hadn't noticed a hermit living in one. I had just dumped that stuff in the tank. He's still just fine :) never noticed any big shock and the water was quite low(1.018). I would of acclimated him anyway if I knew the little fellah was there but just some of my experience...

It doesn't suprise me that it didn't hurt him. I have always suspected that an animal could survive a rapid salinity shift as well. I DO acclimate for it (if needeed) but there is a Darwinist side of me that just wants to go ahead and dump them in and let the fittest survive. That might make me a horrible person, but it would also indicate that I'd make a great GOD! Which is essentially what a reefkeepers job description is. (Relax religious types! Just think of it as General Operations Director.)

Archived