Cultivated Reef

:S Picos VS Nano

swayzee_au

Hey all,

Ive been looking at this site for a few months, and id like to know what the difference is between a pico and a nano. by the looks of it a pico seems easy im probably wrong lol, im such a newb i dont even have a display pic lol, my head has turned to a Pico tank probably a 5 gallon :) so if someone can tell me some information about both tanks that would be great thanks.

a pico tank is app. 5 gallons or smaller. The smaller the tank the harder it is to keep. Things happen very quickly in a small volume of water. Start out as large as you can. Personnally i would start with a 10 gallon. The tank is only 9 dollars at wal mart and you will have a lot more stability. Welcome!!

a pico tank is app. 5 gallons or smaller. The smaller the tank the harder it is to keep. Things happen very quickly in a small volume of water. Start out as large as you can. Personnally i would start with a 10 gallon. The tank is only 9 dollars at wal mart and you will have a lot more stability. Welcome!!

i guess i was wrong lol, i live in australia so wal mart is the same as k-mart lol, this is gonna sound stupid how manny littres in a 10 gallon and what can you suggest it put in it.

thanks

ill be back in a few hours

i go by:

<30-gallon = nano

<3-gallon = pico

<0.5-gallon = femto

<0.01-gallon = shotglass :lol:

other than that, i agree with reefin's post.

If you live in Australia, you ought to know your metric prefixes. ;p

nano = 10^(-9)

pico = 10^(-12)

So, nano means "really small" and pico means "even smaller than that"

Thanks for all the replies lol,

ok so im going for a 10 gallon nano reef lol, with my new metric mathmatics its about 38 littres, im really excited about a clean up crew lol hmmm

ok the next thing id like to know is what equipment i will need for my 10 gallon nano, somone probably asks this ten times a day lol srry, just excited

whats the difference with the black and white sand :S if that makes sense

I know this isnt a salt water question but can you get a fresh water hermit crab?

Thanks to anyone who repiles lol

Archived