Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Refugium

Roach

I figured out a really cheap way to make a refugium for my tank.  Instead of buying one of those really expensive models, I used a AquaClear external filter.  I took out all the filter media and layed down a nice layer of sand.  I seeded this with sand from my 92 gallon and put down some macro algae on top of the sand.  Then I put a 9 watt pc on top of the filter...and there you go.  So far it works great.  The sand is staying put and the macro is growint well.  The nice thing about this setup is that the pump on the filter draws water up from the tank into the main filter area.  The water then flow freely over the macro and sand bed...back into the tank.  This makes it much easier on the copepods and other critters in there.  Just thought I would share this with all of you if your looking for a cheap alternative and good refugium.  

I tried that with my hang on filter for a while but I ended up making a 7 gal gravity fed refugium.The refugiums outlet feeds into the filter and then flows back into the tank.I have a 15watt actinic on the fuge at night on a reverse cycle.

Archived