Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ID this on live rock please

Naturalreef

Hey everyone,

I'm staring at my tank and loving this new hobby I got into and this piece of live rock is puzzling me....It has calcified bubbles all over it. I didn't think anything of it at first but now it looks strange..all the pictures of everyones live rock does not seem to have these calcified bubbles on it....I did a search and came up with nothing but Valonia? I scrubbed the live rock with a tooth brush before putting in tank to help with the cycling, but this stuff is not coming off...I'm just wondering if this is a bad piece of live rock and will I have problems putting corals on it later? I have a AGA 7 bow 3 days old cycling with 9 pounds figi live rock..the other piece of rock has a few bigger bubbles covered in coralline but not as profusely as this piece???

:::Damn:::My Dang web hosting site is down so I can't post a picture...I'm freaking out because if this was valonia and had a huge outbreak and then calcified over during shipment..is my water polluted from it, should I take the live rock out...? Anyone? a lot of it is white but a few are light green,and some red but all are hardened because a toothbrush couldn't clean it off..Thanks for all replies...Nicholas

sorry for posting in the wrong forum, I'm so used to the beginners and general forum:) Anyways you learn something new everyday...I started to panic because of all the time I spent putting this reef together, but I found the answer to my question on google....I have Bulbous Coralline:) Some purple most bleached, but glad it is good stuff and not bad:) when coralline gets bleached and say it never grew back, would it erode away in time? just curious..not that I want Coralline to go away:)bulb1.jpg

Hey,

My host web site is back up and now I can post a picture of my rock...Again I found the answer and believe it is bulbous coralline algae, mostly bleached right now...I forgot to mention the picture in the previous post was linked from google not a picture of my rock..but here is mine....fc953bab.jpg

Thanks for the reply Lizbeth:) Wanted to make sure I would have no problem putting zoos or other corals on this rock because it was so bubbly. I tried searching but couldn't find an answer...Coralline seems so calcified...if it were to stop growing, would the encrusted bleached coralline eventually dissipate or would it stay on the rock bleached for good?........Nicholas

as a calcareous algae your bulbous coralline does lay down calcium carbonate. when it dies (is emmersed for a period of time, like during shipping) the white bleached appearance is simply the CaCO3 it previously deposited. as calcium carbonate is quite insoluble in saltwater at or close to NSW conditions the "skeleton" will remain for quite a long time, unless you physically remove it. errosion may wear it down and slowly it may redissolve-as conditions allow. most likely scenario is some new corallines laying down right on top of it or spreading across the "bleached" aka dead algae areas.

tg

Archived