Innovative Marine Aquariums

How Many Fish In a 7 gallon tank?

Red X

How many fish could be kept in a 7 gallon bowfront? I was thinking of a royal gramma, a firefish goby, a ocellaris clown, and a green chromis.... (and of course a considerable cleanup crew)  would this be too much of a bioload?

Thats a little too much, i'm setting up a 20 and i'm only putting two clowns in it.  I'd just go with one of those.  Maybe someone else has some ideas on this though...

Smokey Joe

Quite a bit too much in my opinion.  I think one fish in a 7g is pushing it, and that would be the maximum I'd put in.  I have two fish in my 20g and am planning on keeping it at that, you would be surprised by the amount of waste they generate.  Though more than one fish may live for a while the tank would be very unstable and even the slightest perturbation would likely crash it.

My Alife 7

I have a 7 gallon tank and all I have in there fishwise is a damsel. I think two would be too many let alone four.. I'd say just pick one out of the four you have and that should be about it.

I dont think the green chromis is a good choice because they are a shoaling fish.  They might not do as well by themselves, plus they are a fast and active fish, and seem to like a lot of space.

madhader85

that is too many fish.  In my 20 all I have is a pair of clowns and a damsel.  Im not planning to get any more fish.

Hey RedX,

The reason that you don't want that many fish is because you want your bio load down in order to keep your corals in nice clean water.

Not to mention many otherwise tolerant fish will turn violent over the lack of territory that must be shared with so many others

One is almost over doing it.  All I have in my 8 gal. is a strawberry psuedo.  And it is small 1".  You dont want too many fish in the tank it is too small for all that waste.

one fish would be plenty for a tank that size.  Chromis are generally schooling and two fish in such a small area would probably fight over territory :chainsaw: :fart:

Archived