Nishant3789

fish in less than 5 gallon tank

Nishant3789

ok now im really am ot going to try thie or anything , but i had this aidea the other day taht u could keep a fish happy ina tank smaller than 5 gallons just by adding enough circulation. ive heard the analogy where u could keep a german sheperd in a closet, but would it be happy? but if the german sheperd was in a closet and had a tredmill and could run as much as he wanted and got everything hed get outside the closet, wouldnt it be just as good? i mean the powerhead would make the fish think they were swimming farther than they really are. jw,

nishant

printerdown01

IMO it is possible to keep a fish in less than 5 gallons, and keep it happy... BUT you have to know what you are doing! If you try to stick something like a six-line wrass (or even if there were such a thing as a miniture six-line wrass) in a 3 gallon tank it would be possible parameter wise, but the fish would be a german sheapard in a closet! Some fish need LOTS of room to swim even if they are small... Other fish need very little room to swim and can be very happy in a 3 gallon tank... The trick is to know your species first! I like to push the boundries, and encourage experimentation, but I equally like to encourage people to evaluate what they are doing BEFORE they do it. The most successful aquariums I have seen were successful because the people who set them up knew what they wanted before they set them up, and planed the tank accordingly... IMO this is the same with putting a fish in less than 5 gallons... it can be done, iff (if and only if) you plan for it accordingly and only if you choose your fish sp. wisely!

Smokey Joe

While I don't really have a moral objection to experimenting with (most) fish by keeping them in a small tank I think in general it's a bad idea.  Why waste the time and money to set up an inherently unstable aquarium?

Whether (most) fish can actually feel "happy" or "sad" in any real sense is pretty debatable.  The fish would no doubt be stressed, which may be as close to "sad" as a fish could ever get.  The dog on the other hand is a considerably more developed animal by any reasonable definition, and trying to keep a one in a closet would be unconscionable.

pulpsmack

Are you asking "can I" or "should I"?

IMO you can if you plan properly, but you shouldn't, no matter how hard you plan.

Mr Spam

swimming space would be of a consern. if the fish specias you are placing within the tank dosn't need much swimming space, it would be fine as long as the water parameters keep up to date, meaning atlest twice as many waterchanges in the same amount of time. I see no objection as long as the one who is doing this knows what they want and how to keep the fish heathly and happy.

Nishant3789

umn guys, did anyof u read my post? i was talking about if a fish owuld have enough room or at least think it would if there wasx enough current in there so taht itll think its swimming far distances when its qswimming agaist the current. I am by no means thinking abouty doing this.

nishant

Korbin

Maybe if you had a circular tank shaped like a doughnut.  With the current going round and round so the fish never gets to the end.  That would be cool if you had some sort of open water fish, like a lookdown jack or something.