Pod Your Reef

New tank testing levels

krusty

Well im pretty happy with the cycling process, Ive had the tank (45G) running for about 3 days with water and sand.. and then for about a week now with partially cured live rock, 27 lbs... I checked a few days ago and ammonia was at .50 ppm or more, today it was around .25 ppm and nitrite was at .50 ppm so its making its swing already... The only thing that bothers me is the PH is at 8.8, how do I bring this down, or will it occur naturally (fish addition/waste)  Thanks...

Ive got a buffer, but it says use to raise PH.... ?? I have 12lbs more LR to add in but thats it.. Im not doing a reef, Its a Fish/reef  Fish, eel, and a few inverts along with a cleaning crew... 192w PC lighting, professional grade wet dry with protien skimmer, and caulerpa sump.  =]

Smokey Joe

Most buffers made for aquariums will raise the pH, though I guess in theory you could construct one to lower it.  How and when are you measuring your pH?  If you're measuring it after the lights have been on for some time you can expect a higher reading.  Also, it sounds like you're probably using the simple titration method to measure it.  I've found most of these kits to be unreliable at best as the color reading above 8.4 is pretty vague.  If you're getting acceptable pH and alkalinity readings in the morning I wouldn't worry about it.

Your tank is still cycleing, you shouldent be worrying about pH unless it goes much higher. In a week or two weeks, then you can start worrying about your Alk and Ca... I'm sure you know about their relationship to pH.

Good Luck.

Archived