inTank Media Baskets

pH drop during cycling

jkeithh1969

jkeithh1969

I have never had this happen before during a tank cycling, but then again, I have never used uncured live rock either, but I find that my pH is falling below 8. I did a water change this morning to see if that would correct it, but so far it hasn't. Any ideas/suggestions?

gollum31548
Thanks. I was afraid I was doing something wrong.

Alk is going to drop also so be prepared. Just do some large, regular water changes (I was doing 4 gallons/week in a 24 gallon AquaPod) till things settle out. My tank took 3 1/2 weeks to stabilize, but has been rock solid since. It's like Regan always said "trust but verify". Test the water parameters every day, frequent water changes and once things settle down add a clean up crew to keep the diatoms and hair algae under control before they get going !

One Eyed Bunny

Your pH drop is primarily do to the overactivity of your nitrifying and oxygenating bacteria that convert amnonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. These bi-product chemicals are what cause your drop in pH. It is nothing water changes and some basic upkeep will not cure.

Archived