SaltCritters.com

aquarium cooling fans vs computer fans

StrategicReef

StrategicReef

I want to order the 4 fan unit here to clip on the back of the aquapod to blow across the rear chambers and under the sunpod.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=14701

But the CFM does not seem as high as computer fans, which are usually available 50-80 cfm. Is there a nice way to mount multiple computer fans onto the lip of aquarium, or pivoting assembly onto a wall?

proraptor2

The reason you dont see high CFM fans for aquarium use is because computer fans are loud and annoying and aquarium owners usually want their fans to be somewhat quiet (I know I do).

Chupacabras

Why not just use a desk fan instead? I have a $7 7" fan mounted over my tank that can easily keep my 30 cube at 80 with a 250w MH.

post-4144-1151800382_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chupacabras
The reason you dont see high CFM fans for aquarium use is because computer fans are loud and annoying and aquarium owners usually want their fans to be somewhat quiet (I know I do).

People who build their own computers typically want it to be as quiet as possible. You can get nice fans that are quite quiet.

As for mounting, as with any DIY, you just gotta get creative.

There really is no difference. I would just look at a computer store and look for the amount of air you want to be moved and then also look for how loud it is.

StrategicReef

I took out my drill with a 120V fan in my other hand, my gf stopped me immediately

I need something less obvious :)

If I get fans blowing on the back chambers and MH, I have a glass top, does that help the temperature?

If I get a chiller does it eliminate the need for fans?

Edited by StrategicReef

Watercooling for you buddy. :D

You can just underdrive the voltage to 12v computer fans. Try running them at about 5v. They'll run silent.

Chupacabras

Glass tops don't help the temperature at all and will actually trap the heat in your tank. The glass top has to go, regardless of what cooling method you decide on.

If you want to go with the absolute last resort method of cooling, then yes a chiller is the alternative to fans but it's also amazingly expensive, even moreso if you don't already have a sump. I'm certainly not afraid to spend money on my tank but it seems silly to me to spend 400ish dollars on an option that could have been handled for less than $20.

StrategicReef

What i meant was that I am in need to run a glass top for various reasons for now.

The water temperature is getting close to 81 degrees with a 120V fan, and I have avoided some heat by using the MH at night.

Does a chiller require a sump? Or one might as well add a sump while at it?

I am not clear how a chiller is setup, is there 2 pumps one to go down to the chiller and one to pump it back?

Palmettopark

Im not sure what Im looking at OOgie computer?? What ever it is is fuking rad!!! How much to trick out your desk like that??

One Eyed Bunny

Hijacked. <3.

Another reason for not using computer fans is because computer fans are not designed to be used 4 inches above water, particularly salt water. Unless the thing is made of almost all plastic and then covered with a non-corrosive you're going to have rust and possibly other chemicals/metals falling/leaking into your tank.

you may use computer fans/small fans for your lighting system way above and away from the water surface.

if you want to use fans (remember cooler air reside closer to the ground!) you may construct a fan assembly away from the tank and installed closer to your floor and buy a plastic flexible tube (used also for fan assemblies) and point this onto the tank surface.

another idea is a cooling tower. Use a small pump to spray into a tall pvc tower and blow air counter current to this shower. i saw this done by PC modders to cool CPU and I did use this before (the tower was the overflow from the main and cold air blows over the water before it drops into the sump).

good luck what ever modders do!

Its hard to believe all those fans in the tank hood is fan thats made specially for the salt water usage. I think they are all very similar, and i don't think those fans in JBJ cubes, Aquapods, and other hood and fixtures, have "SPECIALY COATED" fan for salt water. I'd say they are all generic fans.

One Eyed Bunny
Its hard to believe all those fans in the tank hood is fan thats made specially for the salt water usage. I think they are all very similar, and i don't think those fans in JBJ cubes, Aquapods, and other hood and fixtures, have "SPECIALY COATED" fan for salt water. I'd say they are all generic fans.

If the anti-corrosive is cheap, why not? Also, most parts of the JBJ fans are plastic besides the ball bearing. The ball bearing is specially coated with an anti-corrosive agent for that reason. I don't know about any of the other all-in-one systems, but I know its the same for Coralife, or at least the unit I plan on ordering from them (36" Aqua Pro 150W MH w/ 12*W Actinic )

• 12 years later...

Greetings. I have found the silenx fans very quiet and use them on my reef tanks. They have the lowest noise for a given flow I have found. (3 db lower is half the sound energy and these are usually 6-10 db quieter that typical computer fans.  Their 60 mm fans also fit my 29 nano exactly....Buy them on Amazon.

Also, buy a bigger fan than you need and run it at 8 volts and it will be much quieter again while only reducing flow about 20-25%

• Like 1