Pod Your Reef

How-to: Make your own 70w MH Pendant

Mirepa

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotboostedvr6, that 500w Regent light is very popular for a 70 or 150 watt HQI setup; however, I have a feeling the Brinks light may have a better light reflection across due to all four angles present on the reflector. If you have a wider tank, you'd want to give that a thought.

Herostar, thanks for the link. These electronic ballasts seem like perfect budget electronic 70w ballasts. I really have a hard time finding Aromat ballasts for good prices anymore. :lol:

gotboostedvr6

well i decieded to build the pendent w/ the regent ... i retro fitted a MH 70 watt complete setup

i sourced for cheap , it comes with magnetic ballast and 8000k blub

my tank is wide and has a very large plastic "strap" in the center that would make it impossible to only use one MH so the reflecter angle will not make a difference when i have both setup

pics:

Okay. I understand what you mean. That's a very slick setup there! Now you just gotta build another one, but you gotta carefully watch the rising heat though. Once you hang the pendents and supplement with some actinics T5, the colors will be perfect.

well i decieded to build the pendent w/ the regent ... i retro fitted a MH 70 watt complete setup

i sourced for cheap , it comes with magnetic ballast and 8700k blub

my tank is wide and has a very large plastic "strap" in the center that would make it impossible to only use one MH so the reflecter angle will not make a difference when i have both setup

pics:

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

Mirepa,

Were you able to get the Brinks Home Security System 300watt halogen floodlight from Walmart recently? The reflectors on those lights look really nice and I'll be using them to make my pendant (as soon as I could find one).

chrisstankevitz

Will this 70W bulb fit? http://tinyurl.com/zbfsr

I would be able to answer my own question if it were clear what the bulb form factors were. The only term people are using is "double ended". Are all "double ended" bulbs the same size? Does any bulb identified as "double ended" fit in the Brinks light?

Thanks! Can't wait to build my light!

Chris

Chris,

The 70w bulb will fit perfectly...the DE bulbs so far are very standard size-wise if they are the same wattage. I just got the Brinks light from my local Walmart for $8. Gosh, these things are so solidly built - as if they were made for this sole purpose.

Mirepa,

Were you ever able to bulk purchase the 14k 70w bulbs? I'm still looking for a good deal on a 14k - 20k bulb. Thanx.

For those of you who are interested, I have the 70W AROMAT NEW STYLE BALLAST. I have sold over 100 of these ballast with my retrofit kits, in the past few years. I have yet to have one gone bad.

I have tested a few of the cheaper import ballast, they get very hot and they do not run the lamps to its full intensity.

If your are intersted I am selling this set up for $75.00 shipped. Comes with grounded 6ft power cord, 6ft heavy duty lamp cord. All connections are made inside junction box, no exposed wires.

email me at illuming@aol.com if interested.

Picture151.jpg

Picture139.jpg

For those of you who are interested, I have the 70W AROMAT NEW STYLE BALLAST. I have sold over 100 of these ballast with my retrofit kits, in the past few years. I have yet to have one gone bad.

I have tested a few of the cheaper import ballast, they get very hot and they do not run the lamps to its full intensity.

If your are intersted I am selling this set up for $75.00 shipped. Comes with grounded 6ft power cord, 6ft heavy duty lamp cord. All connections are made inside junction box, no exposed wires.

email me at illuming@aol.com if interested.

Picture151.jpg

Picture139.jpg

Hello, this is my first time join this forum, I would like to do DIY MH for my nano reef, I noticed that NAIS Electronic Ballast, I can't find any that kinds of ballast in online, only I find is Ballastwise, I do like HQI over Single end MH.

I would like if you point me where to find the electronic ballast for HQI.

Thank. have a great day! :D

If the lampdr doesn't have them, search on Ebay, I've seen them there, but more than the lampdr charges usually.

Well, typical of WalMart, I looked at three different ones and they no longer seem to be carrying the Brinks Security Light. I ended up getting a Regent 500W stand mounted floodlight for the same amount as the Brinks, $9.00, and it has the same reflector and a cord plug. Does anyone know if the 500W halogen is the same size as the 70W MH bulb?

While this is a great DIY project, it's a real pain in the butt to find all the parts. So far I've come up blank on Astra Lux 140000K bulbs, though I've been told that one vendor "may" order them for me! Ah well, I'll keep loking. Any guidance is appreciated.

If the lampdr doesn't have them, search on Ebay, I've seen them there, but more than the lampdr charges usually.

Well, typical of WalMart, I looked at three different ones and they no longer seem to be carrying the Brinks Security Light. I ended up getting a Regent 500W stand mounted floodlight for the same amount as the Brinks, $9.00, and it has the same reflector and a cord plug. Does anyone know if the 500W halogen is the same size as the 70W MH bulb?

While this is a great DIY project, it's a real pain in the butt to find all the parts. So far I've come up blank on Astra Lux 140000K bulbs, though I've been told that one vendor "may" order them for me! Ah well, I'll keep loking. Any guidance is appreciated.

I bought a 500w regent flood lamp and had to trim the sockets for my de bulb to fit. Just test fit and trim if needed.

The Regent has been used for years, so you shouldn't have any problems. Luckily, the Walmart by my house still had some Brinks 300 watt lights. I wasn't able to find the Astralux 14k bulbs for a good deal, so I recently just purchased Dr. Foster/Smith's Current USA PowerPaq 70w 14k HQI bulb when I saw it on sale for $35. Many users have been satisfied with these bulbs' color and quality. Check out the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...x006&ctt=64

Archived