Top Shelf Aquatics

How-to: Make your own 70w MH Pendant

Mirepa

JeremyChase

What is the best source for HQI ballasts?? 150W or 70W!!!

-Jer!

150w HQI sockets are further apart and burn hotter so those dinky sockets are only good for the 70w.

For 150w sockets goto www.hellolights.com and buy the DiY MH 150w Sockets =)

Hmmmmm.. I thought the 150 and 70 both used the RX7s socket. In so far as burning hotter, yah, fire is BAD.

What is the "rule of thumb" regarding 70w MH; what "depth" is it good for? My current setup is a 3 gal with 13w 50/50 + 9w 7000k. I'm trying to figure out my next setup; thinking a 40 breeder or a 15 gal, or .. anything! Something bigger than 3 gal!

-Jer

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GrapeDrink.

This is probably a dumb question, but does the bulb have to be the astralux 14k? Can it be any other 70 watt DE bulb?

Hi

Could anyone help me source a decent 70w MH ballast problem being im in the uk as there is nothing on the UK market so will most likley be ordering from the USA will it need to be a 220V need some help if you can.

Thanks

Ash

Step-by-Step

1. Install MH bulb inside of pendant (no modding required, direct fit)

2. Wire it to the ballast (read ballast diagram)

3. Wire power to the ballast (read ballast diagram)(i used a power cable for my computer)

4. Put glass shield back on.

5. Power her up and enjoy a nice tan

Do you need to put the glass shield back on? The bulb says its UV safe or is there an other reason to leave it on?

JeremyChase
Do you need to put the glass shield back on? The bulb says its UV safe or is there an other reason to leave it on?
I can think of a few reasons to leave the glass on.
  1. you can't touch the bulb (oils)
  2. UV of many DE bulbs is not safe
  3. water splashing on bulb == bang!

-Jer

Great DIY. A few questions, how are you supposed to mount it on your tank? And what was the final cost of everything, or what would it be if you did not have everything?

I don't know of any 220v 70w Electronic Ballasts, sorry; but I'll keep looking!

The AstraLux is the only one I know of so far thats UV safe and I do use one over my main tank without glass shielding.

As far as mounting get steel cable and hook it to your ceiling =)

Hi

Could anyone help me source a decent 70w MH ballast problem being im in the uk as there is nothing on the UK market so will most likley be ordering from the USA will it need to be a 220V need some help if you can.

Thanks

Ash

I found this I don't know for sure if it would work but it says 150 to 260 volts.eballast

I found this I don't know for sure if it would work but it says 150 to 260 volts.eballast

Hi Vapor

Thanks for that but i cant seem to get that link to work but i found a eballast site but couldnt see the 70w metal halide.

Ash

Just ordered the AB10K, pics to come as soon as i get it in :)

Travis I want to see that... if its blue enough I'll replace my Astralux =D

Still no bulbs =\ I'd be willing to part (i think.. maybe) with my spare 14k Astralux

lol.. i gotta thnk about it.. as these are damn hard to find bulbs

Hi Vapor

Thanks for that but i cant seem to get that link to work but i found a eballast site but couldnt see the 70w metal halide.

Ash

Try this one.

It won't let me post this website just put this "v i c l it e" with out the spaces inbetween www. .com

It wouldn't let me make a direct link to it? It would make the link look look like this.

distantfire

The fixture is 9 1/4" long 7" wide and 4" high measured from the glass to the top of the round pivoting arm when layed flat.

And it's 3 1/2" tall when you measure from the glass to the top of the round black knobs that are on the fixture.

• 3 weeks later...

Would like to see some pictures of this DIY over a tank if anybody has any. I plan ondoing this soon and would like to see what it looks like as a pendant or even installed in a hood. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Why won't you let us know where you got that ballast for $30? I only found one place selling it and it was $140. I assume you got it used, but you have yet to say.

Archived