Top Shelf Aquatics

Peppermint shrimp and Goby Pair

cmador

Two weeks ago I bought a yellow watchman goby. I wanted to get a pistol shrimp with him but the lfs didn't have any. So last weekend my order of two peppermint shrimp came in. I had been waiting for them, since my battle with aiptasia was going nowhere (the aiptasia were not responding at all to Joe's Juice). At first, I didn't think nothing of my yellow watchman goby hanging with one pep, since I've never heard that they would ever pair up. I searched NR and RC, but still can't find any info. Has anyone else heard/experienced a pep shrimp and a goby pairing up? It has only been about a week, but for the last few days they have been hanging together in the same spot. I'm trying to get some photos, but of course they are in a tough area to photograph at the back of the tank. I'll try again over the long weekend.

sounds cool would love to see a pic. sorry i don't have anything to offer as far as help or knowledge about this area.

• 4 years later...
We have a peppermint shrimp that hangs in the same den as our YWG, they seem to be good friends...

Very exciting!

Mine do the same thing. They live in the same cave, and usually come out together when I feed. I wouldn't say they are "paired", but they do spend a lot of time together. They have a sort of casual relationship ;)

That is not paired as much as the peppermint being a cleaner style shrimp and is tolerated in the same living space as the gobsteroni.

When you get a tiger pistol to pair with your watchmen, you can see the cool communication via body language and movement that the fish uses to warn the shrimp or tell it that it's safe to come out.

Shrimp will keep its antenna on the watchman about 90% of the time.

Hi fin gobies and candy cane pistols seem to do this even more then my tiger and watchman pair it seems. Better talkers cuz they are smaller! :D

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I stumbled upon this forum because my goby and peppermint shrimp are definitely having a relationship. I got the peppermint a week ago and frankly I expected it to become food. After rearranging my rocks last night I was surprised to see it shining from under a rock and the goby very nearby.  And definitely when I or another fish approach, the goby covers the shrimp with his tail and sometimes chases away my jewel puffer ( big shrimp appetite). And the shrimp keeps touching the goby with his antennae. I think it’s super cool! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Caleb barger
On 1/30/2021 at 4:31 AM, mndfreeze said:

Well this was a blast from the past!

Funny enough, mine are doing the same! I thought my peppermint shrimp died after adding my yellow watchman. I couldn't find either of them. After a few days of searching i can confirm they seem to be paired and stay with each other under one of my rocks! The shrimp used to be very active, now not so much...

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I just noticed this with my watchman and recent peppermint addition as well. However the watchman was previously paired with a tiger pistol in another tank, which I just haven’t caught to move to the new tank, yet (mainly because I don’t want it re-scaping the new Frag placements). I’m curious what will happen if/when I do move the tiger pistol to the new tank. Will it be aggressive towards the peppermint? Anyone experience this.

(And LOL, as I searched the topic, this old thread popped up, and I kept scrolling and people kept renewing the thread - so here I am, adding to it).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 11:51 PM, dmaister said:

I just noticed this with my watchman and recent peppermint addition as well. However the watchman was previously paired with a tiger pistol in another tank, which I just haven’t caught to move to the new tank, yet (mainly because I don’t want it re-scaping the new Frag placements). I’m curious what will happen if/when I do move the tiger pistol to the new tank. Will it be aggressive towards the peppermint? Anyone experience this.

(And LOL, as I searched the topic, this old thread popped up, and I kept scrolling and people kept renewing the thread - so here I am, adding to it).

Tiger pistols will generally chase away intruders into their burrows, but should ignore anything that doesn't get too close. 

• 1 year later...
Retired Reefer

Ok ,first post,,my new YWG and pep. Shrimp are hiding in the same hole,shrimp is very inactive since this happened,,my other pep.shrimp was found dead this morning,,was it killed off ?? YWG was aggressive toward shrimp when introduced a week ago,,or is it a simple life event,,haven't killed shrimp B4,,just curious