Cultivated Reef

144w PC vs. 150w MH

NorCalTRD

Hello all,

right now I have a modded stock hood on my 24NC. It has a 4x36 bulb setup with a total of 144 watts of PC in there. I have been thinking about going open top with either the sunpod 150w fixture or the finnex 150w+36w actinic fixture. Im just wondering, how much of a difference is there between 144w of pc and 150w of mh? The second thing is I was just wondering if people have feedback on the finnex fixture? I have heard a lot of people are really happy with the sunpod but im just wondering why I wouldnt want an additional 36watts that comes with the finnex fixture.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Thanks for the quick replies guys.... I am pretty sure I will get the halide. Is there anyone that knows or has the finnex fixture? Whats better about the sunpod? It seems to me that it would be better to have that extra 36 watts of actinic to supplement the MH. Am I wrong on that?

Jordan

P.S.- Pico, I love your tanks.

montevallofalcon11

My sunpod is only 70W, but it is freaking great. Definately go with the HQI Sunpod if you can.

NanoReefer53
I hope your only going with acros and clams cause anything else will fry

You can keep many corals other than SPS and clams under MH. Shrooms, leathers, euphillias, xenia, almost anything as long as you aclimate them properly.

I hope your only going with acros and clams cause anything else will fry

Wow... If you don't like the idea of the 150w on this 24NC, you will be mad when I tell you that when I move, it's going on a 10gallon. Haha. Why do you think that things will fry? Its all about acclimation. I will be keeping sps and most likely a clam in my new 10gallon system when I move but not in the nanocube. not enough filtration for good water quality.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I would love to hear some feedback on the Finnex fixture but it seems like there isn't anyone that has anything to say about that one. Does anyone know if there is somewhere that I can get the sunpod without a bulb or if chris @ nanotuners will swap one out for the phoenix 14k bulb?

Thanks again everyone,

Jordan

Solarflare8806
You can keep many corals other than SPS and clams under MH. Shrooms, leathers, euphillias, xenia, almost anything as long as you aclimate them properly.

I really don't think you can put those soft corals in a tank thats light is going to mimick 3ft deep water on a natural reef where you'll find acropora pocillopora seriatopora montipora stylophora porites and other HIGH light hungry corals. It can't be almost anything. I guess you could try and shade some of the softer corals. Some of these corals are adapted to only 1-.5%Surface irradiance levels. But this is just me, guess I kinda made it too blunt when I said "everythings gonna fry" Now in a ten gallon with nothing but SPS and clams thats great they are going to love it..........as long as you got the water params and the motion you should be good in your nano ocean. Oh and i guess im sorry I know how much ya hate it when someone goes negative on your thing when all you want is praise and advice for feedback. :happy:

oh and if you going to get one I would get the finexx because that way you can simulate dawn and dusk with the 36watt actinic. Besides you want your light more on the blue side of things anyways.

Thanks for your info solarflare. It will be mostly SPS and maybe a clam. For those of you with the sunpod fixture, do you not worry about the whole surise/sunset feature? does it actually make any difference in the health of the corals?

Solarflare8806
Thanks for your info solarflare. It will be mostly SPS and maybe a clam. For those of you with the sunpod fixture, do you not worry about the whole surise/sunset feature? does it actually make any difference in the health of the corals?

Yes it does. especially if you have wild corals. It might not be absolutely needed but not only is it pleasing to watch and more natural I imagine its a whole lot better. Now the sunpod is a more trusted brand I THINK, not sure. But its all up to you.

Good Luck

Solar

It's all about what you want to accomplish.

If you want to grow LPS and SPS corals then halides is the way to go.

If you want acroporas and tridacna clams then i'd probably go with the 150W because those need quite a bit of intensity.

However, there is one major draw back to halides vs. PC and that is heat. The halides will produce a considerable amount of heat. So it's back to the old cost-benefit but i wouldn't jump the gun and get 150W halides just because everyone says to. if you're having any heat problems now then expect them to get worse with the halides. If you're running nice and cool then you're probably safe but expect a slight elevation in temperature with the 150s.

Oh and it won't fry your soft corals. They'll like the halides too. Unless he was referring to the heat issue.

Just my 2 cents

-Mike

I really don't think you can put those soft corals in a tank thats light is going to mimick 3ft deep water on a natural reef where you'll find acropora pocillopora seriatopora montipora stylophora porites and other HIGH light hungry corals. It can't be almost anything. I guess you could try and shade some of the softer corals. Some of these corals are adapted to only 1-.5%Surface irradiance levels. But this is just me, guess I kinda made it too blunt when I said "everythings gonna fry" Now in a ten gallon with nothing but SPS and clams thats great they are going to love it..........as long as you got the water params and the motion you should be good in your nano ocean. Oh and i guess im sorry I know how much ya hate it when someone goes negative on your thing when all you want is praise and advice for feedback. :happy:

I was under the impression that even very strong MH (stronger than 150W) does not even come close to the intensity of the sun. Given this, I am not sure that "low light" corals will have an issue with MH. I guess many others in the forums can speak about specific coral successes/failures. Also, the reef flats behind the crests are also very shallow. Mant soft corals are in these flats and they get quite a bit of light in the shallows.

Just my thoughts... then again, I know nothing. ;)

Solarflare8806

Well you guys go ahead and prove me wrong, I am not a fish saint just an aquarist with an oppinion. Thats all we can be. :lol:

Archived