jawfish

Sea_Of_Treachery

Sea_Of_Treachery

i have a 10g as you know its gonna be a caribbean tank, would it be possible to keep a pair of jawfish? i can get them for 30$, im 99% sure that i can't but was just wondering. and if its a yes, how deep of a sandbed would i need?

i think they do ok in 3 inches or more,,,,my lfs sold them for 25 bucks,,,,,they are picky eaters took mine nearly 2 weeks before it ate

chrisstankevitz
i think they do ok in 3 inches or more,,,,my lfs sold them for 25 bucks,,,,,they are picky eaters took mine nearly 2 weeks before it ate

Do you mean 3 inches or more of sand?

What about the tank size? I have a 24G nanocube with nothing in it right now. The only fish I am excited about is the jawfish. Can I have one? What do I need to do to my tank?

Thanks,

Chris

DementedLullaby

I don't actually have a jawfish yet but I've done some research on them. They do prefer a deeper sand bed but they can make a cave under a piece of live rock with a bit less sand as well. It's best to keep some "chunky" stuff in with them so they can build their burrow nicely to their liking. Some small rubble and crushed coral will do well for them.

They can be a bit harder to get eating but once they do they are fairly hardy fish. I think the major difficulty of getting them to eat is they are fairly skitish and will bolt into their burrow. I'd say turn off your pumps and put some food by the burrow. Eventually it should learn that you aren't evil.

I think you probably could pull off a pair in a 10g. Make sure the params are good before adding them and of course keep testing and make sure everything stays good. Make sure they're allready paired off in the same burrow at the store to avoid any potential problems. They are territorial fish and while you can keep more than one in a tank it's reccomended that it's 40g+. If allready a pair though, I'd suppose you'd be okay.

Keep us updated ^_^. Sounds like a neat tank.

wwildcats04

some tips for jawfish keepers from my experience w/ blue spot and pearly jaws, I have taken care of both and they are both really easy, they prefer a deep sand bed, I reccomend about 5" which is tough in a 10g, if thats what you wanted I would just get a couple of those and a big sand bed and call it quits with a few pieces of LR strategically placed. dont use just strait sand for them though, I use a mixture of crushed coral in with mine so it gives them something to reinforce their caves with. they arent finicky eaters IME, try spot feeding them for a few days and gradually feeding further away from their hole and eventually they dart up to the top for flakes just like anything else, they are a very rewarding fish and I have never met someone who has had them and wound up not loving them... there is practically a jawfish fan club that will most likely start adding their .02

I have a pair and if they are the only fishes they will eat in the first week, if they will be with other fishes will take more time. With 3" will be ok, they will make it deeper because they acumulate sand were they will do the burrow. They are really expensive there in US, I got thems here in PR for $3.

harryurban

you have to be careful housing more than one jawfish together. i have read that two males will be very territorial with each other.three inch sand bed is good.

Undertheradar

I house a bunch in a 40B...Bali Tiger ones. They dont get very nasty with each other, and good hole diggin space is at a premium in that tank with all the rock. I gave them 4-5" of sand...what I would consider the min to keep em happy. I say go for it...just use pearly, dusky, black cap, or tigers because the blue spot are very expensive ($100-200ea). Mine have always readily taken to frozen krill/mysis/squid. I would consider the minimum to house a pair in to be a 15g tall...they need the sand depth. But beyond that, they are by far my favorite fish to watch, and their personalities are ginormous for such a small fish.

101919Bali_Tiger_Jawfish2.JPG

Archived