Top Shelf Aquatics

ID anenome, sofite, possible aiptasia?

TiGs

Hi all,

The diameter is about the same as the top of a ballpoint pen cap. It does travel on the rock at an almost unoticable speed. There are these tiny bumps around the top ridge.

Before I got this live rock the LFS owner said it was infested with aiptasia but his butterfly fish ate them all off. I did see the butterfly fish swimming in the same tank from which I picked the rock from. Could it be possible that it is an aiptasia regenerating?

Any help would be great.

This won't help....but....

I've never had an Aitasia, so I can't attest to what forms they take as they grow....what I can say is that I have seen hundreds smaller in diameter than your that already look like full blown Aiptasia. What it does look like is a small mushroom. I had a number of these (minus the bumps) on my LR, they started out, light brown and eventually became Actinodiscus striata.

Something to go on is better than nothing, thanks.

Hopefully it turns out to be something reef safe. This came from the live rock i bought to start up my invert quarantine tank, so it is in my quarantine tank for now until more is know about it.

I saw Dr. Ron's reply to your post on RC, if he says it is probably an Aiptasia, better safe than sorry. At least it is in a situation that you can allow it to grow and see what it becomes....I'm interested to see how it turns out. Let us know.

Well I just discovered a bunch of Eurythoe complanata worms on the same rock and a few more of these unkown possible aiptasia. I'm planing on doing a fresh water dip to rid of the pests.

Archived