Pod Your Reef

LED on the Sunpod

StrategicReef

StrategicReef

I have the current USA sunpod with blue and white LED, I was wondering if that is just a moon light color preference or does the 6 tiny white LED is supposed to be actinic.

travisurfer

they are just different spectrum moonlights, just turn em on when the main lights are off and enjoy a nice night view.

Moonlights are such low wattage/intensity that you will not get any of the benefits of actinics with them. No photosyntetic active radiation (PAR) and nothing will fluoresce under them. They just look cool but you certainly don't need them. Just personal preference.

How I have my sunpod setup is...

6am blue lights on

7am white lights on (with blue)

8am metal halide on (with blue and white on)

8pm mental halide off

9pm white lights off

10pm blue lights off

this creates a dusk to dawn... you need 3 timers though...

I have my metal halide light on a power strip. I have my fan hooked up to it.

So the fan comes on during the day... keeps my temp at 80deg 24/7

The blue lights on by themselves create a very cool florecent look, really makes your greens stand out.

OH! and the light from my hang on back fuge creates the moonlighting when all the other leds are off... It barely lights up the tank, which I want.

IMO the leds on the sunpod are way to bright to use as moonlights all night long.

OH! and the light from my hang on back fuge creates the moonlighting when all the other leds are off... It barely lights up the tank, which I want.

IMO the leds on the sunpod are way to bright to use as moonlights all night long.

Moonlights are such low wattage/intensity that you will not get any of the benefits of actinics with them. No photosyntetic active radiation (PAR) and nothing will fluoresce under them. They just look cool but you certainly don't need them. Just personal preference.

actually many corals will flouresce under blue moonlights. Each LED is an estimated 1 watt giving some benifit and par. Many people have nano's set-up and lit soley by LEDs. My 55 is lit by 2 sunpods and the white and blue LEDs are actually quite bright.

also LEDs can have kelvin and spectrum ratings. I've seen 6500K, 10000K, 420NM and 460NM.

I will concede that any light will have some PAR, and may even have a spectrum rating. The effect would be negligable however unless you had dozens and dozens of them. You are right I should not have said "No PAR".

You will notice no difference in the growth of your corals whether you use them or not in a stock fixture. You would get more effect from the ambient light in the house.

I benifit from the stock 2 dozen LEDs that I have on my 55 in the sunpods. Its a heck of a lot brighter than any ambient room light.

How I have my sunpod setup is...

6am blue lights on

7am white lights on (with blue)

8am metal halide on (with blue and white on)

8pm mental halide off

9pm white lights off

10pm blue lights off

this creates a dusk to dawn... you need 3 timers though...

I have my metal halide light on a power strip. I have my fan hooked up to it.

So the fan comes on during the day... keeps my temp at 80deg 24/7

The blue lights on by themselves create a very cool florecent look, really makes your greens stand out.

I have mine on a similar schedule and I agree that they are too bright to be used as moonlights for the entire evening/early morning.

Also, my corals fluoresce plenty under the blue LEDs.

Archived