ReefCleaners.org

Sealed Pico?

irishtexan

check out brandon529's tanks on reefs.org. he's their nano forum mod (as well as a member here).

search: "femto reef" i think he has a couple of threads here but he updates more there.

why would you want to do a sealed reef? i see no benefit besides eliminating evaporation. but i forsee potential overheating issues.

Thanks tinyreef. I will check that out. If anyone else has anymore info I'd be glad to hear it.

texan

why would you want to do a sealed reef? i see no benefit besides eliminating evaporation. but i forsee potential overheating issues.
stabilizes the salinity. imo, it's the #1 problem for pico tanks (<2-gallon) and "femto" reefs (<0.5-gallon).

now, if they had an ATO that was sensitive enough and/or small enough to not block significant space in a pico/femto ( *cough*cameronyoulistening?*cough* ) then sealing a system would be unnecessary.

but it's one of the concepts i semi-used on my sunlight pico tank (i.e. enclosed canopy) to limit splash and evaporation. some of the ideas were derived from brandon's concepts.

but you're correct that it will create significant heat issues. both brandon and i have used fans 24/7 at times to try and address the heat issue.

but brandon's setups are much more complex (RDP refugiums, braces within the LR, algae scrubbing, etc.) and truly sealed versus mine which have been much more simplistic (rock + water badabing! it's a reef!) and not truly sealed. he also goes into significant detail on his setups so that should be helpful.

Only problem I can see is lack of gas exchange, depending on what you have in the tank.
i believe brandon addresses that with his rdp refugium. or it might have been a 24/7 lit refugium, i don't remember exactly.

Archived