Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sea Anemone got sucked into the pump

dizasstur

I have a small pump inside of my tank and about 6 of my sea anemones tenticles got sucked and got pretty banged up. Will he recouperate? Is there anything I can do to help him?

Don't you hate it when that happens...lol.

Just leave it alone. Not much you can do.

I had the same thing happen a few years back. It took me 2 hours to untangle its tentacles or whatever from my pumps screen and from the propellor. I set it up in a QT tank and it just melted away. Nothing I could do to help it.

RayWhisperer

Don't untangle it!!!!! Just turn off the pump. It will remove itself if it can. All you can do is keep the water quality as good as humanly possible and hope for the best. If the foot isn't damaged and your water is good, it will probably recover(provided it didn't get too damaged).

Don't untangle it!!!!! Just turn off the pump. It will remove itself if it can. All you can do is keep the water quality as good as humanly possible and hope for the best. If the foot isn't damaged and your water is good, it will probably recover(provided it didn't get too damaged).

heres the wierd thing, i turned the pump off, and it untangled itself. But now it split into, is that normal?

VermontReef

My rbta used to always get sucked up into the powerhead. At least once a week. It parked itself about 4 inches from the intake. I would just turn the powerhead off and most of the time it would pull itself out. Sometimes I would help it out.

When I first got my sebae anemone he got totally sucked up into one of the powerheads. There was no way he was getting himself out of that mess. I was pulling him out in pieces. I was sure he wasn't going to make it. To my surprise he recovered and is now about 1ft in diameter and very healthy.

I would just put yours in a low flow area in your tank, or possibly turn off your powerheads and let it recover. I wouldn't put it in a QT tank you will end up stressing it out more by introducing it to different water than its been used to.

Splitting depends on the type of anemone.

Archived