clam care

Gman91

Yesterday I go in to work, and discover that my boss had ordered me a 5" croacea clam, and that it had just arrived. It is in it's new home in my six gallon eclipse, that has been upgraded to a 36 watt light. Since I don't know that much about clams, I am trying to figure out the basic needs for this thing, especialy when it comes to feeding and the like. Any advice would be helpful.

Yesterday I go in to work, and discover that my boss had ordered me a 5" croacea clam, and that it had just arrived. It is in it's new home in my six gallon eclipse, that has been upgraded to a 36 watt light. Since I don't know that much about clams, I am trying to figure out the basic needs for this thing, especialy when it comes to feeding and the like. Any advice would be helpful.

croceas are the most light demanding of all clams. they require at least 150 watts of metal halides. they require very stable water params (aka a larger tank), good calcium levels (420 ppm) and good alkalinity. a 5 inch clam will also SUCK your 6 gallon dry of calcium and such. basically your clam is a dead clam unless you move it very very soon. if you need a temp. housing for him and you are in L.A. let me know.

You need to get it out of there ASAP. Crocea's cannot survive under that lighting, no if ands buts. It will waste away and die over the next several months. GET IT OUT!

proraptor2

Croceas will live under 70 watts of halide but they need to be towards the top of the tank...36 watts of PC isnt even close to cutting it though for the clam...Also being 5 inches you wont need to feed it (thats if you have it under tgood lighting)

croceas can`t live with a 70w mh

yes they can. bare minimum, but i have seen growth for a crocea in a 70mh

Hmmm. Well, it needs to be in a larger tank, and there is not enough light. It will slowly die, and it takes about 6 months or less for it to starve to death. :)

Archived