SaltCritters.com

Cured or Uncured?

beyondtheblue

beyondtheblue

I will probably be setting up my new NC 24 in the next couple weeks. I have read that uncured rock in a newly set up reef tank is the way to go. Will there really be a major difference between the two?

In the past I have used cured rock. Any input will be appreciated. thanks

:D

Obsessed Reefer

Do you want a fast cycle or a long cycle?

I had over cured rock. it was in their tank for months. I never had a major diatom outbreak. Never had any spikes.

Short Cycle - Use cured

Long Cycle - Use uncured.

beyondtheblue

I am not really in a hurry. I have heard and read that uncured is better and was wondering how people on this forum thought. Is there really a big difference?

Obsessed Reefer

Uncured has a lot of more "stuff and crap" on it. as in hitchhikers and die off.

It's what ever you like.

travisurfer

uncured rock normally has a lot of cool stuff on it. you could end up getting free corals, crabs, snails, shrimp, or even fish. that being said not all of that will likely make it through the ammonia spike, unless you do mini wc's which will lengthen the cycle even more. cured rock is ready to go, normally is already covered in coralline, and will let you cycle very quickly. mine cycled within a week. hth.

btw, make sure you get high quality liverock either way

Don't forget the smell factor. I've heard that cycling uncured live rock generates quite an odor for a short while. Consider that in regards to the location of the tank and what you and/or family are willing to put up with.

Don't forget the smell factor. I've heard that cycling uncured live rock generates quite an odor for a short while. Consider that in regards to the location of the tank and what you and/or family are willing to put up with.

WORD!!!! It had been a while since I had set up a new tank, and I set up my 12gal in my bedroom and completely forgot about the whole live rock rotting in your tank smell, and man that stuff stinks. My wife was so mad. :lol:

It only takes about 2 weeks for the smell to go away! I kind of like the way it smells. I think I'm just a reef junky. That's probably why.

I work ata pet store, so when our shipment of live rock came in, the boss let me take about 1-2 lbs. worth of rock pieces and sand that was uncured- it was taken direct from ocean only 7 days before. Worked out great as the rock and cycled the tank in 4 weeks, with some giving algae and such. The uncured stuff we get sometimes comes with HUGE swathes of coral on it that is red-orange in color. Fantatsic stuff, but I would'nt recommend it for established tanks due to the die off...

I just got a hold of some pre-cured rock from oceanproaquitics.com and it smelled like i just pulled it out of the ocean when i unwrapped it!

it has been in my tank for just about a week and all levels in my tank have been perfect. no spike nothing yes i may have missed out of some free stuff but i may have also been lucky enough to miss out on some unwated stuff as well.

the pre-cured option was only like 50 cents a pound. so all in all its up to you mine was at work therefore the stink factor was something to avoid if you careless and would like to maybe get surprises then go uncured.

Archived