inTank Media Baskets

Question about new hood

netwizz

I just built a new hood to add a second PC light and I realized I didn't plan for glass between the lights and the tank. Is this necessary? It looks like some hoods have it and some don't.

Christopher Marks

It is good to have an acrylic lens between the tank and the lights, but not on top of the tank.  Would it be possible to have one that covered the lights but wasn't sealing the tank closed, ie - covering the bottom of the canopy, not the top of the tank.

I can probably cover just the hood. Now that I think about it the fixtures would probably rust after a while with out a lens. Thanks.

Yeah, go with what chris said. Alot of people disagree with allowing the tank uncoverd because it lets "house hold pollutants" into the water... The worst of these that I have heard of is mainly dead skin, which can mess with your pH, but I have no problem with my tank uncoverd so I think most things people say things because thats what someone else told them. The bottom line is you need the best gas exchange you can get, and keeping the tank uncoverd helps big time...

If you include a fan on your hood heat should no longer be a problem. You could then forgo any kind of a cover if you dident mind wipeing down your bulbs 1 or 2 times a week to keep the salt off.

Good Luck :freak1:

I first covered my tank but there was no way to get any gas exchange.  I would take the hood off and the tank would have a stale odor.  So I took the plexiglass off and added a fan it is much better now.  I set up an auto top-off system to take care of the increased evaporation and it works great.

Archived