Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Does my fish food recipe sound safe?

yankee boy

Ive decided to make my own fish food and here are the ingredients:

Forumla one flake food, Frozen Mysis, Garlic Juice and a little bit of Nori (the seaweed sheets) all blended together and frozen.

Sound safe??

jane of baden

Forumla one flake food, Frozen Mysis, Garlic Juice and a little bit of Nori (the seaweed sheets) all blended together and frozen.

Sound safe??

...depends what youre feeding!

As long as that nori you're talking about isnt nori but is seaweed sheets sold specifically for fish, yes. Nori for human consumption is salted/flavored usually, and do our fish really need any more salt? ;) Also, try getting different types of dried macro algae to feed the fish. Every now and then we throw in fresh macros just to diversify the diet. Generally, in tanks where fish are herbivorous, we just rubber band a peice of seaweed to a rock and let them pick on it.

I also like Zoe of Zoecon with the garlic guard. I'm not sure what youre feeding, but a lot of fish (and some coral) really, reaallllly benefit from vitamins and minerals and are more likely to get diseases like Hex (hole in the head) if they have deficiencies.

I'd also go with more variety on the frozen food scene. I like Marine Cuisine because it has a few different types of shrimp. Mysis is awesome, but variety is better in my opinion. whats really awesome is cultivating pods for your tank and throwing them in occasionally!

And maybe its just me... but I hate flake food. creates more waste and such- try pellets.

It's a good start though and good to hear youre diversifying. Your diet, although not perfect, is like 10 billion times better than people who just toss in some pellets.

DementedLullaby

Sound safe??

I don't see it as harmful. Sounds like a good mix and you might be able to tempt some things that don't normally eat veggies into getting some in their diet. Let us know how it goes. Usually when making my own food I just take a trip to the asian market. You can find lots of nutricious stuff to make your own food =).

It's plain nori, I tasted a sheet and it tasted nasty couldnt find any trace of salt on my taste buds. I fed the mixture to my new wild clownfish who usually just eats particulate type foods and it swallowed chunks of it, especially the nori.

Archived