Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Harlquin Shrimp Eating a starfish

VermontReef

VermontReef

Trying to train my harlequin shrimp to eat those pesky little starfish that multiply in reef tanks.

Heres a couple pics of the harlequin. He's very small, about 1"

harliquin.jpg

harliquin2.jpg

Here he is eating a pesky little starfish. I had to skewer the starfish with a pin on the end of a skewer and put it in front of him. He pulled it off and began chowing on it. I hope that eventually he will hunt them on his own.

starfish.jpg

• 3 months later...

You don't have to 'train' it to eat the asterinas, just don't feed it any other starfish - when it gets hungry enough, it will find food.

Do you have a method for culturing the asterinas, or do you just have enough "spares" floating around?

I give you credit for keeping these guys. They're gorgeous animals and I wish I had the resources to keep 'em.

I don't know if this goes for all sea stars nor whether its in any way ethical. But if you cut off a sea stars leg and include at least a part of its central disk it will be able to regenerate into two seperate starfish. That's for whoever was asking about starfish propagation I believe it was aquaman. I suppose if they're going to be eaten anyways there should be no moral obstacle to practicing this form of propagation.

I don't know if this goes for all sea stars nor whether its in any way ethical. But if you cut off a sea stars leg and include at least a part of its central disk it will be able to regenerate into two seperate starfish. That's for whoever was asking about starfish propagation I believe it was aquaman. I suppose if they're going to be eaten anyways there should be no moral obstacle to practicing this form of propagation.

Oh wow. I forgot starfish could do that! Sounds like it would work well enough. Question is whether or not they regenerate fast enough.

DementedLullaby
Starfish don't regenerate nearly fast enough for the leg thing to work.

Gotta agree, and most probably end up dying anyway because of stress and nitrates.

Archived