phosphates high

CollegeReef

CollegeReef

ive never tested phosphates before and i am having a bit of an algae problem. i have the test kit so i tested them. they were very high, hence the algae...

which product can i use to remove them, there are so many? i will be putting the product in the bubble trap part of the remora preskim box.

i want to reduce and REMOVE.

PS, can anyone recomend a good carbon brand, prebagged preferably.

I use Seachem Phosguard. It works pretty well. I do a 10% water change, then I run Phosguard for seven days and then do another 10% water change. Usualy get's everything.

For carbon, I just use the Marineland Black Diamond in a 180 micron bag. I don't know many companies that make prebagged. Seachem does, but it's kind of pricy for carbon. I think its called Matrix Carbon, and its like $10 for a small bag.

I just put an aqua pure hbh brand filter in my tank early today to help with the algae and cyanom problem I have been having . Now about 12 hours later the cyano is dramatically 50% small and isnot producing any bubbles. As for the hair algae, no effect that I can detect yet. Thai sponge workd great if you have high phosphates, ut I cannot say it will get them out once they reach the low end though.

You can also cut it to any size you want and it only cost around $3.00.

DementedLullaby

I don't like adding chemicals to my tanks to reduce other chemicals. I would just use phosphate clean water changes =)

CollegeReef

im not adding chemicals, i want to put somethign in to absorb the phosphate, then throw the product away. its not like im adding something to absorb nitrates!

polyfilter pads kick butt at removing phosphates. phosguard has never worked for me.

for the polyfilter pads, you can cut them in half and just stick them in you wet dry, filter, etc. as long as there is water flowing through them. use 1/2 at a time until it turns dark brown and then replace it. your phosphates should drop within a week or two tops, more likely in a matter of days.

the BEST carbon with the lowest phosphate release (ALL carbon releases some phosphates) is seachem matrix carbon. it also lasts 3-4 months instead of just one. kent carbon has one of the highest phosphate release rates, so avoid that.

I've used Phoszorb a couple times and liked it. It's a little bag that lasts like 6 months for 30 gallons of water volume and supposedly won't leach the phosphate back afterwards. I'd definitely try and figure out where the phosphate came from in the first place - what do you feed the tank with?

I use phosgaurd when my phosphates get out of control. My sand was filled with diatoms and i put some phosgaurd in this morning and looking right now at quarter to 8 EST. The sand is clean. I give it an A+

CollegeReef

I just bought some phosguard and some matrix carbon and a little bag to put them in. they should be here in a couple of days. much cheaper to buy dry good off of the web than at the LFS.

i think that the phosphates came from a bit of overfeeding. i got my first fish (citron clown goby) and maybe went a little overboard. the algae started when i started feeding. cyclopleze, kent chromoplex, and frozen phyto. i fed a bit of something every 3 days, but havent fed for about a week now.

thanks for the help.

I dont know if i would call it crap, my corals never looked better since i started using it. I wouldnt put it in a phosban reactor, all i did was put 3 teaspoons of it in a filter bag and threw it in the hob, diatoms have not returned and the coral look great. I have a mixed reef so i could look at a little bit of everything.

10" Red Devil
I dont know if i would call it crap, my corals never looked better since i started using it. I wouldnt put it in a phosban reactor, all i did was put 3 teaspoons of it in a filter bag and threw it in the hob, diatoms have not returned and the coral look great. I have a mixed reef so i could look at a little bit of everything.

Do some research, it is Aluminum based. Terrible for corals. You may not notice a difference now, but you will. Also it depends one what corals you have some or more sensitive to it then others.

Collegereefer,

I agree with the use of GFO phosphate removers, like Rowaphos, phosban, Kent has one, dont know the name. Just be careful with these as they can mess with your alk. Also be sure to rinse the hell out of them with R/O water before use as they have these fines you dont want rentering your tank. A phosphate reactor will optimize the use of these things, but they can be just as easily used in a mesh bag and still get good results.

i know im not arguing with you, i personally like it and if i start noticing ill effects its coming out. Atleast ill have an idea of why the coral dont look good, I think if a small amount is used you should be ok. Putting it in a phos reactor will probably give some problems alot quicker.

10" Red Devil
i know im not arguing with you, i personally like it and if i start noticing ill effects its coming out. Atleast ill have an idea of why the coral dont look good, I think if a small amount is used you should be ok. Putting it in a phos reactor will probably give some problems alot quicker.

I know your a newb, so I am trying to save you some trouble, but if you dont want to listen then I wash my hands clean!

Archived