SaltCritters.com

1 Quart Pico Reef!

Argent

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm interesting -- might have to look in to a nimble.

and I just picked up an 8 white LED round light off ebay that I will mount inside the hood I have to light this! I'm excited!

I was thinking -- blue leg and maybe an astrea snail

and if I can find a small frag of zoas

this is actually going to go on my girlfriends desk to it has to be pretty easy to care for.

Invest in the nimble-- it is the best thing I have ever gotten for my tank. I love it!!! So you got the 8 LEDs... Well Arizona (where they are shipping from) will take just as long to get to you as it does to get to me. Its a race to see who can light up first. Although my tank still has a little bit before its going to be filled.

don't sexy shrimp feed on starfish? or do I have my shrimps confused. This needs to be easy to care for (its her first tank)

if I was keeping this tank myself I might consider something more exotic.

This is looking cool Argent. :)

Will the LED's give enough light to support corals and with so little filtration will it need mega high water monitoring and changes?

Good questions Shiva -- I'm hoping the LED's will be fine for low-light corals...

as far as water changes -- I'll have to figure that out after the tank gets stocked.

Found a couple dead pods in the tank today :(

This weekend I'll bring home my test kits and test out the water in my quart pico and see if it's cycled yet. Might frag out a single polyp from a few different colonies in my tank and glue them to the piece of LR in there.

Argent, I am completely amazed by this project, and thus, want to try the same thing on an old crappy 1g tank I have lying around. Am I correct in my diagram of what the pump does? Or do I have something screwed up, because it makes sense to me...

Pico.jpg

edit: you can't really tell, and I'm not in the mood to fiddle with the pic, but; the air from the pump enters the tubing in the tank, and acts just like an UGF, except the tube in the tank just sucks water and doesn't go under the substrate?

correct -- it's an air lift tube

my problem is with heat -- the tank stays room temp (so in my apartment with the AC that meant it was 70 degrees) so I need to address that problem eventually (I have a gooseneck lamp with regular bulb on during the day to keep the tank water at 80)

and I found out my check valve has a crack -- so I'll have to try and superglue that to patch it up.

is like to c smw updates too this project is doing great and i have a circular vase imma try it with. all the pump is is an air pump?

If I could find some sort of small fountain pump (or similiar) that had an intake and output where I could plump hardline to and from I would -- but at the moment, the air lift tube has been the easiest way I've found to move water in that small of a tank.

and yes nanoclown, that is just a regular aquarium air pump.

texan, there isn't much to update -- it still looks the same, the tank temps were way too low (69.9) so I'm sure I've haven't had any sort of cycle. With the regular lamp on it I can get the temp up to 80 - but I can't leave the light on 24-7. So until I can regulate the temperature a bit better, I'm not adding any livestock yet.

Do you think 1g is enough room for a red striped goby? (1in max length)

Sorry, I don't want to hijack your thread argent...

Would one of those little 7w heater work for you? Or would that be too much?

LEDs came today -- not as bright as I had hoped. The 'mounting' isnt permanent.

Picture%20463%20(Medium).jpg

Picture%20464%20(Medium).jpg

and I decided to help the tank along by seeding with some tank water and sand from my 3 gallon -- and I apparently snagged a hitchhiker :)

Picture%20465%20(Medium).jpg

still need to figure out a heat source -- I think one of those square 7w flat heaters would be too big -- no idea where/how I'd mount it either.

Archived