inTank Media Baskets

1 Quart Pico Reef!

Argent

Some of you have seen my cylinder betta tank I found at Meijers -- I've decided to try an air lift tube system for circulation on this tank and perhaps manage to keep a small colony of zoas, a hermit and a snail in this tank. Here's what I started with....

Picture%20054%20(Medium).jpg

The tank!

Picture%20055%20(Medium).jpg

The air pump (unfortunatly the smallest I could find)

Picture%20056%20(Medium).jpg

I notched out the base so the cord could come out...

Picture%20058%20(Medium).jpg

Unfortunatly with the pump hidden in the base -- I'm a bit short on clearance. I might be able to use the flexible hose to still fit everything under the tank. I also had to trim down the rubber feet so the base would sit flush on the table (I wonder how bad the vibrations would be in the tank with water) I also plan on installing the check valve and an adjustable air flow valve inline so in case of loss of power this dosen't drain the tank.

Picture%20059%20(Medium).jpg

The plan is to run the pipes like Durandalin drew up for me (thanks for the idea and pics)

Tiny2.jpg

This is as far as I got so far -- before I got hungry.

Now to figure out how to bend hard airline tube.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its amazing what a candle and some super glue can accomplish (the glue job sucks though)

Picture%20063%20(Medium).jpg

now to wait for the superglue to set so I can water test it!

gonna try -- either that or I'll put a fake plant against it.

Might give this one to the GF and let her keep an african dwarf frog in it or something. Or I could always glue bits of live rock to it later and hide the pipe.

That will be cool kmitch! can't wait to see progress! gonna put a sump on it? HAHAHAHA

it's holding water -- and looks like it has some circulation!

gonna toss some tropical fish gravel and an african dwarf frog for the time being -- see how well it works.

Picture%20064%20(Medium).jpg

its pretty noisy, even with it's clear lid on it -- might have to come up with some sort of custom hood -- maybe even install a small round cluster of LED's.

That looks really neat! Can't wait to see how it comes along.

texan

ps- you could try this light I know it says 40W bulb but you could put in a 10W coralife 50/50 bulb.

Light

Hey Argent, I thought you were going to route the tubing through the base of the tank and not out the side. What made you change your mind?

Ok the frog -- is a temporary thing -- to make sure the tank works fine. It's what I had around the house. The reef stuff is all at my work.

I have another of these cylinder tanks -- and more hard line tubing - just need to pick up another pump.

as for the routing of the pipes -- the pump didn't give me enough room to run the pipes straight up through the base.

You know when you get chinese food delievered and they bring your soup in those clear plastic containers that are cheap enough not to save but have a nice lid? I wonder if a lid the right size wouldnt fit on there. Order some dinner man!

Looks cool. I would look for a smaller pump if you can find one. I posted a link earlier for a light. Can't wait to see it as a pico!

texan

why not rig up a maxi-jet as a closed loop system and hide it under the tank? an mj 400 should do a good job. you could run the return straight up the center as a spraybar to break up so much flow in such a tiny tank. just surround it with live rock.

DementedLullaby

African Dwarf Frogs need 2.5g each. You wouldn't put a clown goby in that. Get that frog out. It's not even big enough for a betta.

kmitch - it has a clear flat lid -- I was thinking of some sort of hood that might also act as a sound baffle.

Demented -- the ADF has been returned to his 15G high.

I think I'll see if I can score a really small piece of LR from my LFS and start the tanks cycle this evening.

pets unlimited fish guy - I'm not sure how I'd accomplish that with an mj 400.

Cool. Post some pics of it with LR. Try to get some LR and LS out of established tanks so the cycle won't take long.

texan

I think if I make another one of these -- I need a bigger diameter piece of airline for the inside pipe -- this one I think spits more air than water.

Also will try and find a smaller pump or figure out how I can decrease the amount of airflow and how to install a check valve to protect against power loss.

DementedLullaby

You could buy a bigger piece of LR and just do some smashy smashy and chiseling. You could get it more to your liking that way too.

I think a pico in that would be very interesting. The zoas might do okay but stick to cheapo ones just incase. Any clue what lighting you'll choose? Maybe stick it inbetween a few tanks as well.

Good to hear froggy is living in a bigger tank =). Mine has a 15g as well with a few guppies. He's such a nut, I love hand feeding him. You can watch him sniff the water...mmm worms...

I love watching my ADF go for air then torpedo straight down in to the rock. Hehehe.

As for lighting -- I have this gooseneck desk lamp and could just get a screw in 50/50 bulb.

my other concern is how to keep it heated now....Oh and the 3/16 hardline didn't work very well for the upright tube, so I picked up some larger 3/8 stuff and will try that to see if I can get more water movement.

Archived