Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

8 oz Pico

halfpint

I never did get the light. I'll probably post "going away" pictures of it before taking it down. It doesn't look too nice since none of the rock has coraline on it due to the lack of light. I'm thinking about making it a sunlight tank after I move.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took it down. :(... It was sad. I am going to have to make an LED array after I move nad set it back up. Either that or a small 9w PC pendant fixture. I'll try to get around to posting pictures of it all cleaned up and taken down. It is a nice tank. I think my next one will be taller and glued with weldon.

• 9 months later...
FLcracker94

this is a little late, but were you checking the parimeters of the water? If the xenia were dieing, it could be poor light, or ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ect. could of spiked.

I'd love to have a tiny tank like that though lol.

• 2 months later...

Nope. Still trying to solve the heat and lighting issues. I have the tank sitting on my dresser, waiting to be set up.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
SET IT BACK UP

I'm going to, after I build a light fixture for it. And design a good cooling system. I'm thinking peltier cooling from a mini car fridge.

• 2 months later...

Alright. I want to set it back up. I'm going to try to come up with a light fixture for it and build it before I set it up. Same for chilling. I need to design a chiller. I'm not going to need much light power for it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of using an 18w 50/50 PC. In a "pendant" of some kind.

As for a chiller, I'm stumped. I was trying to think of a way to use heat sinks, but can't think of how to seal the aluminum from the tank water without losing heat transfer.

Alright. I want to set it back up. I'm going to try to come up with a light fixture for it and build it before I set it up. Same for chilling. I need to design a chiller. I'm not going to need much light power for it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of using an 18w 50/50 PC. In a "pendant" of some kind.

As for a chiller, I'm stumped. I was trying to think of a way to use heat sinks, but can't think of how to seal the aluminum from the tank water without losing heat transfer.

Thats a cute little tank. I noticed you said you wanted to try to do something with LEDs for lighting and I thought I would share this link that I ran across when I was trying to find a new light for my tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~TA6131.html

Thats a cute little tank. I noticed you said you wanted to try to do something with LEDs for lighting and I thought I would share this link that I ran across when I was trying to find a new light for my tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~TA6131.html

Interesting... I like it. I wonder if it will actually support growth of coral and photosynthesis?

Interesting... I like it. I wonder if it will actually support growth of coral and photosynthesis?

I saw some reviews of people using it as a fuge light and they said it was working for that.

I think I might have some help for you on the chiller too. When Daniel (dshnarw) was planning his coldwater tank he found a way to mod a mini fridge into a chiller. I don't know where he found it but he'd probably be willing to share. This was before he found a nice chiller for sale really cheap on his local forum.

And I'm looking forward to see how the tank works this time around. Might do something simular for my sister. I figure something that small with such easy to care for corals and no fish she would have a hard time killing. I had set up a 5g for her with a damsel in it and it jumped out the tiny hole in the back. She has the worst luck with fish. :(

I saw some reviews of people using it as a fuge light and they said it was working for that.

I think I might have some help for you on the chiller too. When Daniel (dshnarw) was planning his coldwater tank he found a way to mod a mini fridge into a chiller. I don't know where he found it but he'd probably be willing to share. This was before he found a nice chiller for sale really cheap on his local forum.

And I'm looking forward to see how the tank works this time around. Might do something simular for my sister. I figure something that small with such easy to care for corals and no fish she would have a hard time killing. I had set up a 5g for her with a damsel in it and it jumped out the tiny hole in the back. She has the worst luck with fish. :(

Is that chiller the one where he pumped the water through tubing inside the fridge, which was filled with water? The water was chilled, surrounding the tubing inside the fridge, chilling the tubing, right?

I'm really wanting to get it to work out this time. I think my biggest problem was the temperature of the tank. I just need to come up with a good chiller that is efficient.

Is that chiller the one where he pumped the water through tubing inside the fridge, which was filled with water? The water was chilled, surrounding the tubing inside the fridge, chilling the tubing, right?

I'm really wanting to get it to work out this time. I think my biggest problem was the temperature of the tank. I just need to come up with a good chiller that is efficient.

I have no idea he never told me the specifics your just going to have to ask him.

• 10 months later...

Got a possible light for this tank from work today. It's a 4" LED backup light that had a broken lens. It's completely sealed in epoxy, so it's corrosion-proof. I just have to make a fixture and get a power source. After that, I just have to solve my heat problem and my top-off problem. Then I'll be back in business!

Got a possible light for this tank from work today. It's a 4" LED backup light that had a broken lens. It's completely sealed in epoxy, so it's corrosion-proof. I just have to make a fixture and get a power source. After that, I just have to solve my heat problem and my top-off problem. Then I'll be back in business!

Awesome. I actually thought about bumping this thread for an update but figured you would have mostly forgotten about the tank by now.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I need to dig it out and finish rebuilding it. I'm thinking of a peristaltic pump, to reduce heat. I would be constructing it myself, to save on money. It would be a simple design, valveless, and would transfer little to no heat to the tank. A tank cooling system would be the next step, as well as controlling evap and auto top off. A small 'fuge might be necessary.

I'm sorry, but this is the most pointless tank ever. I see nothing cool and innovative about stuffing corals in a cup......

I'm sorry, but this is the most pointless tank ever. I see nothing cool and innovative about stuffing corals in a cup......

Wow, there are just douchebags popping up everywhere huh HP?

Wow, there are just douchebags popping up everywhere huh HP?

Yup. This place is going to be another RC, eventually.

I think its an interesting little project.
Thanks.
patrick1234

Then why come on nano reef.com If you dont like small tank's get the f*@k out.

O and this is one kick a$$ tank nice work.

Archived