Coral Vue Hydros

Multiplying Mushrooms

davidinvt

I have several species of mushrooms in a pico (2.5 gal) and they have been doing well for the past 6 months or so since I started the tank. Recently the brown and green striped started dividing and they have been going to town for the past few weeks. I would have to say that there are now about 3X the number than before. There is some hair algae that has started to grow in the tank and I was considering moving the rock to another tank but would hate to cause it to stop.

Nitrates =0

Nitrites=0

Amonia=0

PH= ~ 8.6

SG = ~ 1.026

SG and PH are on the high side I know, but was curious if this was driving the shrooms to divide.

Any one have any info regarding this?

I thought about adding a refugium to the tank, but I change out ~ 1gal a week from my big tank to keep the nitrates from building up, so I am not sure that it would help much. But the hair algae is not to my liking. I have read that some species of nudibranch will eat hair algae but concerned that they might not be friendly to the shrooms.

a couple of trochus (turban) snails made short work of my hair algae prob fast...the work hard and they won't bulldoze your live rock like turbo snails are prone to do.

Archived