Reefcrusher's 15 tall (almost cube)

REEFCRUSHER

REEFCRUSHER

Well its tank thread time.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my 5.5 for almost a year now, Problem is I coulden't make up my as to what I wanted to do. Then while at a LFS up in Green Bay I find the AGA 15 designer. Best of all it was only $66 complete!

For me I think I've found the perfect tank. (Ignore the ugly color combo I'll be painting it soon) Before I repaint this bad boy I'm going to see if I can make the stand at least a foot taller. I don't like having to bend over to look at a tank, the stand for 125 is 5 feet tall. The inside of the stand is exactly 12" wide, perfect for a pair of 2.5 gal tanks one for skimmer and heater and stuff and one for a fuge. Lighting is going to be a 150 watt hqi with actinic supplument.

O yah dimensions are 13x13x26 tall.

Bring on the questions/comments.

Evan

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

I just bought one of these tanks tonight. For several years I kept thinking...yeah, I want one but I'll buy it later. But lo & behold, AGA has stopped making them. I think I found one of the last ones in Madison.

What are your plans for stocking it?

150W hqi, huh? Is that because it's so deep? Or you going SPS? Personally, I am thinking softies, zoos & a pair of seahorses. But we'll see. I'm going to make a custom stand for a specific spot I have & will hopefully fit in a bigger sump. Anyway, nice tank & let us know how things go.

C

REEFCRUSHER

Carinya,

I don't have a stocking plan yet, I suppose it will the corals from my 5.5 but beyond that I don't have anything planned. As for the MH I do have some SPS but also because the tank is over 2 feet deep. I just feel that a 70 watter won't do it. But on the other hand I'm worried about the heat. I'll just have to see what happens.

Evan

Good choice to go with MH. On a tank that deep, PC's wouldn't penetrate to the bottom. I have a 20 tall that I was thinking about putting a pair of quad 96 PCs on, but after some tests, I think MH will be the way to go.

Be careful making that stand taller. As skinny as it is, you are going to be super top heavy, though two sumps below would probably anchor it down. I have two kids who bump into everything and would hate to see it come crashing down.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? Unfortunately mine's still sitting in the corner, owing to a busy time at work. So I want to live vicariously through yours. :flower:

Man you might need a 250 watt halide if you are going all SPS...26 inches of water is hard for light to penetrate

REEFCRUSHER

Carinya,

Sorry no updates yet. Like you I've been busy with work plus the car in background of above pics is signed up for a car show this comming weekend, so that has taken up the rest of my free time. Since my last post I have picked up a mag 5 and a squid for the closed loop. Hopefully next week I'll get going on this thing.

proraptor2,

I think I'll be ok with the 150. I currently only have a couple of monties that will go higher in the tank. They don't seem to be that pickey they are actually growing under 64 watts of pc in my 5.5 gal tank.

Thanks guys for reminding me that I started this thred, I'll get back to it next week.

Evan

H I was just browsing but I have the same tank but with white plastic trim. I had a 14k 70w halide on it for a while and just upgraded to a 20k 150w setup, it was the best thing I have ever done for the tank. The 70w does no good at lighting the bottom area where the sand bed will be.

I start a new thread and will post pics in a few days to help.

Archived