Cultivated Reef

My DIY 10G project Finally Started

ashkeenon

So ive added a clean up crew and its amazing how well they do, I have 4 hermits an emerald crab who didn’t no where to eat was in his element scurrying about the rocks pinching food from all places and he hasn’t stopped yet some turbos as well couldn’t get any of those Narssarius Snails or cerith's here’s a pic of the cleaned tank with a little help.

marine_log_127.JPG

What’s with all these bubbles?

marine_log_128.JPG

Here’s the emerald crab he's tiny not much bigger than a thumb nail.

marine_log_129.JPG

Some hermits although one of them turned out to be just a shell.

marine_log_130.JPG

Oh and I couldn’t help it here’s my first fish, (a little marlin) as the partner says. Think that should keep me happy for a few months also give the tank time to mature

marine_log_131.JPG

As for corals I plan on keeping a softie tank maybe? Mainly consisting of colourful zoos ricodas mushrooms etc

I went on a bidding frenzy on eBay and won these following zoos. ive asked the guy to pros pone shipping as im not going to be here much next week and would like to keep an eye on nitrates etc so if they do go up I can move things to the small Pico tank until its sorted anyway here’s some pics of the ones I won apart from the last two where I got outbid when I was out $%8# however the guy said he's getting another shipment so if he has ones like these will send them with my order so all is not lost.

marine_log_132.jpg

marine_log_133.jpg

marine_log_134.jpg

Hers the ones I really wanted

marine_log_135.jpg

marine_log_136.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the clean up crew have worked miracles its sparkling with a little help cleaning the glass corners. My zoo's arive tomorow so will post some pics once in placeive spotted more which i think im gonna get deep purples, anyhoooo heres a pic of the nice clean tank.

marine_log_137.JPG

Heres some photos of zoo/corals im thinking of getting from coralsnbits phots also by coralsnbits there nice colours anyone know the names of the purple ones.

marine_log_138.jpg

marine_log_139.jpg

marine_log_140.jpg

do the sun corals need additional feeding.

Ash

Received my zoo safe and well got them in the tank now think I will do some better aquascaping when I have time but for the mean while here’s what they look like.

Hoping they will colour up a bit more as well here’s the photos after theyve been in for a couple of hours.

marine_log_141.JPG

marine_log_142.JPG

marine_log_143.JPG

marine_log_144.JPG

Ash

So on glancing at the tank today i noticed this ball moving around

On closer inspection noticed it was hermits fighting welcome to Hermit Fight Club.

Started to watch them when one of them came out there shell and tried to pull the other one out of its shell however this turned nasty and the one without the shell got nipped and ran off so was running around naked. Meanwhile the shelled up hermit was holding on to the naked hermits shell and wouldnt give it back anyhoo heres some pics i found this quite ammusing.

marine_log_149.JPG

marine_log_150.JPG

marine_log_151.JPG

Ash

• 1 month later...

Hey There

So ive been having a streak of bad luck recently and here’s my tank now.

marine_log_152.JPG

Sadly my Clown fish died. Just as the black spots had disappeared 2 days later it decides to jump down into one of the compartments at the back and got sucked by the pump and died there.

Came home from work the other day and noticed glass smashed everywhere over the floor and in the tank? Thought the tank had cracked or something like that but there was still water and everything in place then noticed it was the piece of glass from the metal halide cover. As shown in the pic below. The cause of this was that I have the fans on a timer which I must have knocked or something as it wasn’t plugged in properly this caused the temperature to hit 35*C twhich must of smashed the glass with the heat. I thought most of my livestock would have near boiled but there fine now.

marine_log_153.JPG

Here was there temporary home for a night until I bought some more sand and cleaned out the whole tank and rock to make sure there was no glass left.

marine_log_154.JPG

marine_log_155.JPG

Here I go again fresh start.

marine_log_156.JPG

Also thought I would show you a pic of the compartments at the back this was taken before I tidied it up.

marine_log_157.JPG

I have a thing about keeping wires neat and tidy so decided to get some cable tidy’s and get it all neat it was annoying me before with all the wires just floating around the back.

marine_log_158.JPG

Here’s a close up of the compartments at the back

marine_log_159.JPG

Voila back to normal with a slight bit of re aqua scaping on which I am happier with than what it was previously. I also added a new fish and a tiny zoo frag. This time I decided to go with sand like you would find at the beach in comparison with the coarse coral sand I much prefer it and glad I had an excuse to swap the sand.

This time instead of an aesthetically pleasing fish I decided to go with one who was a bit more productive and helpful a spotted goby he's not been out much so aint got any photos but will post some when I get a chance. I was so close to buying a mandarin goby in the hope that it would eat frozen food but decided it would just wipe out all the pods growing then starve, what a pity the fussy buggers don’t just eat frozen.

marine_log_160.JPG

marine_log_161.JPG

Some more pics

marine_log_162.JPG

marine_log_163.JPG

Thanks

Ash

Archived